- 24 Jun 2016:UKIP leader Nigel Farage hailed it as the UK's "independence day" but the Remain camp called it a "catastrophe."
- 22 Jun 2016:Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. Those changes could include an edge-to-edge organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen and eliminating the home button by building the fingerprint sensor into the display, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 30 May 2016:Apple watchers can add "OLED display" to the list of features we're expecting in the iPhone 7, as hinted by the CEO of Applied Materials.
- 19 May 2016:
- 17 May 2016:Toshiba posted a wider-than-forecast operating loss after the troubled electronics conglomerate wrote down the value of its Westinghouse power unit.
- 13 May 2016:Foxconn Group chairman Terry Gou wasted little time addressing his newly acquired employees at Sharp, warning of job cuts while promising to reward workers who put their "heart and soul" into rebuilding one of the world's iconic brands.
- 12 May 2016:Japan's electronics giant Panasonic plans to sell its two plasma display plants at its Amagasaki site in Hyogo Prefecture, western Japan, to a Singapore-based investment firm, according to The Nikkei.
- 29 Apr 2016:Panasonic sees profit falling this year on slower emerging markets (Apr 28) - Reuters (via Yahoo! News)Panasonic forecast its profit to fall in the current business year amid slower growth in emerging markets as well as planned investments in automotive technologies and high-end consumer electronics.
- 20 Apr 2016:New Corning Gorilla Glass product extension enables manufacturers to create colorful design options for devices while ensuring durability and optical clarity.
- 18 Apr 2016:
- 7 Apr 2016:The improved outlook comes amid reports of strong sales of its latest flagship smartphone models, the Galaxy S7.
- 28 Mar 2016:The takeover bid by Hon Hai of Taiwan for Sharp, a chronically loss-making Japanese electronics firm, is being watched closely as a test of Japan's openness to foreign investment. But it is also being scrutinised back in Taiwan.
- 21 Mar 2016:Canon Inc. agreed to buy Toshiba Corp.'s medical equipment unit for 665.5 billion yen (US$5.9 billion) as the world's biggest maker of cameras seeks new growth. Canon is buying a business that makes diagnostic imaging systems such as MRI, X-ray and ultrasound equipment. It would also take the company into competition with General Electric, Royal Philips NV and Siemens AG for MRI machines that typically cost more than US$100,000 each.
- 15 Mar 2016:The laptops-to-nuclear conglomerate said it had overstated past profits by JPY5.8 billion (US$51.30 million) on a pretax basis due to seven new accounting errors, on top of the 224.8 billion in overstated profits it has already announced.
- Toshiba is in late-stage negotiations to sell its white goods business to Chinese household appliance giant Midea Group, a move that would mark another chapter in Japan's drastically changing home electronics industry.
- 3 Mar 2016:Samsung Electronics Display is ceasing the operations of its TV manufacturing plant in Seremban due to challenging business environment and changing market conditions.
- 4 Feb 2016:Toshiba said it would record the biggest annual loss in its 140-year-old history as the firm wrote down the book value of several units, including energy and infrastructure, while restructuring costs ballooned.
- 22 Jan 2016:A new LCD display technology for 4K UHD is called Quantum Dots. On the other hand, Organic LEDs are often mentioned as a next generation technology for iPhone displays.
- AppleInsider points us to a recently published U.S. patent application from Apple which suggests that Apple may at some point in the future consider a wrap-around OLED display for the iPhone.
- Japan Display Inc said it will begin mass production of organic light emitting diode (OLED) panels in 2018, aiming to catch up with Korean rivals amid speculation Apple Inc may adopt such screens for its iPhones soon.
- 19 Jan 2016:China's economy grew by 6.9% in 2015, compared with 7.3% a year earlier, marking its slowest growth in a quarter of a century.
- 15 Jan 2016:Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., commonly known as Foxconn, is ready to invest about 700 billion yen ($5.9 billion) in Japanese electronics maker Sharp Corp, a local media report said Friday.
- 12 Jan 2016:Japanese government-backed fund has offered to invest 200 billion yen ($1.71 billion) to help bail out electronics maker Sharp, the Nikkei business daily reported on Monday.
- 8 Jan 2016:Samsung Electronics says its operating profit is likely to rise 15% in the fourth quarter from a year ago, missing market expectations.
- Corning will showcase Gorilla Glass and other advanced glass technologies giving ordinary surfaces extraordinary capabilities - for automotive, retail, home, and more.
- 30 Dec 2015:Toshiba, reeling from a $1.3 billion accounting scandal, said it intends to ask for a new JPY300 billion ($2.49 billion) credit line by the end of January to fund a large-scale restructuring.
- 23 Dec 2015:Samsung Securities said on Dec. 13 that it trimmed Samsung Electronics' operating profit forecast for the fourth quarter by KRW300 trillion (US$253.91 million) to KRW6.8 trillion from the previous KRW7.1 trillion (US$6.01 billion) estimate due to sluggish sales in its component business.
- 17 Dec 2015:It has been found that Chinese companies in the LCD and semiconductor industries are trying to acquire Korean firms in partnership with Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix as well as technical engineers.
- 15 Dec 2015:Toshiba is looking to cut up to 7,000 jobs, as it looks to streamline operations in the wake of an accounting scandal, the Nikkei business daily reported.
- Apple opened a production laboratory in northern Taiwan where engineers are developing new display technologies, according to people with knowledge of the facility.
- 10 Dec 2015:
- 8 Dec 2015:TCL will go to CES with a 110-inch curved Ultra HD TV that features high dynamic range and wide color gamut, but the company isn't talking yet about price or availability.
- 4 Dec 2015:I'll start with the bad news. Even though TVs with 4K/Ultra high-definition resolution have been available for a couple of years now, there still aren't a lot of actual 4K TV shows and movies available.
- 1 Dec 2015:British scientists have invented a new type of touchscreen material that requires very little power to illuminate, with vivid colours and high visibility in direct sunlight.
- More Ultra HD content (aka 4K content) is coming to DirecTV consumers soon. The satellite service provider has updated plans to launch a live 4K broadcasting service "early in 2016," reports Advanced Television. Sports transmissions are already being tested.
- 20 Nov 2015:Apple acknowledges iPad Pro screen blackouts, offers no immediate word of upcoming fix (Nov 19) - Apple InsiderApple on Thursday posted a new support document on its website, responding to complaints about iPad Pros suddenly going black and refusing to accept touch or button input.
- The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has found that a typical 4K TV uses 30% more energy than that of a HD TV.
- 17 Nov 2015:South Korea's LG Display Co. maintained its top position in the large-sized panel market for the sixth consecutive year, data showed Tuesday, coming in far above other South Korean and Taiwanese rivals.
- The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected an appeal filed by manufacturers of liquid crystal displays that are contesting claims that they infringe on a patent held by Eidos Display.
- 13 Nov 2015:A new public TV tech shoot-out, though, has suggested that it's finally time to let plasma rest in peace and embrace its natural successor: OLED.
- Elo expands projected capacitive touchscreen line
- Merck holds Display Insight 2015 in Taiwan to showcase its new branding and latest display technologies
- Exhibitors from 34 countries and regions are ready for inaugural WCIIF
- Focusing on four innovative applications, Merck unveils future display technologies at 2015 Touch Taiwan
- FORTREND Flexible Nano Liquid Diamond coated Touch Panel
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
- Digitimes Research: Touch IC developers turning to fingerprint sensors
- Digitimes Research: Dell high-end LCD monitors may be 24-, 27-inch models
- Is Quantum Dot the next big thing for the TV market?
- Apple updates iMac family with new Ultra HD and 5K Retina displays
- CES 2014: Asustek to showcase latest smartphones, 2-in-1 and gaming monitor
- Lenovo releases new ThinkCentra AIO desktops
- Asustek introduces MB168 Series portable USB-powered monitor
- Samsung introduces monitor featuring hand-tuned color calibration and quad HD display
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
LCD TV makers are responding to the challenge of OLED, with quantum dot (QD) technology, curved screens and other innovations. In order to boost consumer...
4K TVs continue to grow strong in the market and are expected to more than double in 2015. Panel makers and TV vendors alike are eying opportunities...
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...