- 2 Oct 2015:Ultra High Definition or 4K televisions offer screen resolutions that are four times that of Full HD.
- But the TVs' default energy-saving mode, which reduces screen brightness when watching video, is easily disabled, either explicitly or accidentally.
- 1 Oct 2015:Toshiba Corp (6502.T) may lay off staff in its underperforming home appliances, TV and PC businesses and seek a partner for its nuclear operations to overhaul the company after a $1.3 billion accounting scandal, its chief executive said on Thursday.
- 30 Sep 2015:LED. OLED. THEY sound so much alike-just one letter divides them!-but where large-screen, big-ticket TVs are concerned, they're very, very different.
- 25 Sep 2015:Normally, when we cover head-to-head display competitions, it's between smartphones or tablets, with the occasional dip into laptop comparisons.
- Leaks from close to Apple suggest that the company is seriously considering making the transition toward OLED displays for both the iPhone 8 and the IPad series.
- Amazon has revealed details of six new pilot TV shows scheduled to debut in the fall exclusively through the Amazon Prime services in the US, UK, Germany and Austria.
- Foxconn Technology Group has signed a letter of intent to buy a stake in Sharp Corp.'s liquid-crystal display business in a deal that would give Foxconn management control as the Japanese electronics maker spins off the unit, according to people familiar with the plan.
- 16 Sep 2015:From November 1st, though, NASA is going to leverage the huge leap in video resolution introduced by the arrival of 4K UHD technology to share its exploration of the final frontier with the whole of North America via a new UHD TV channel.
- Sony Electronics is bringing High Dynamic Range (HDR) support to more of its 4K Ultra HD televisions.
- 15 Sep 2015:Japan's stock exchange ordered Toshiba to pay a record fine of Y91.2m ($750,000) in the wake of a $2bn accounting scandal, marking another reputational blow to the lossmaking nuclear-to-semiconductor conglomerate.
- 8 Sep 2015:Ultra High Definition televisions (aka 4K TVs) have been readily available for a few years now. Good reasons for buying one? Much harder to find. That may be changing, however, thanks to announcements from a handful of big-screen manufacturers at the IFA trade show here in Berlin.
- From a purely aesthetic perspective, it has to be said that LG's new 65-inch 65EF9500 and 55-inch 55EF9500 flat OLED TVs don't look as dramatically stylish as their curved counterparts.
- Samsung is targeting workers in the human resources, public relations and finance departments, Korea Economic Daily reported Tuesday, citing people it didn't identify.
- 4 Sep 2015:Today at IFA, Panasonic announced its first-ever 4K OLED television. The 65-inch 4K Viera CZ-950 has been color-tuned in collaboration with professional Hollywood colorist Mike Sowa, and is designed to deliver colors - including an "Absolute Black" - the way that directors and cinematographers intended.
- 1 Sep 2015:Flexible 7 inch touch panel with integrated OLED display developed (Sep 1) - Printed Electronics ReviewTogether with ITRI, Taiwan, Heraeus, demonstrated the integration of CleviosTM conductive polymer based touch panel with AM OLED technology in a highly flexible device.
- Sharp Corp. is leaning toward spinning off its liquid-crystal display business into a joint venture with a third party, rather than selling the unit outright, people familiar with the matter said.
- 31 Aug 2015:A decade after flat LCD TVs replaced bulky cathode ray tubes, the sector is now preparing for a new generation of products using OLED (organic light-emitting diode) technology, according to Shanghai's China Business News.
- LG has announced that from the end of August it will start rolling out four new OLED TVs across its US, UK, German and Korean markets. The four new models add new features and form factors to the brand's existing OLED range.
- 25 Aug 2015:Ultrahigh-definition 4K televisions (see below) have become widespread, despite the cautious approach taken by major TV stations that has resulted in very few programs and other content being available in 4K resolution.
- 20 Aug 2015:BOE Technology Group said August 18 that it will establish an IC fund of CNY4 billion (US$626 million). BOE invested CNY1.5 billion in the fund, along with other investors including the government-backed National IC Fund.
- DirecTV has announced that it's expanding the capability of its 4K Ultra HD service by launching a new 4K-capable version of its Genie Mini set top box.
- Seoul giving LG the boost it needs to get OLED mainstream.
- 18 Aug 2015:Linus of LinusTechTips just published the 9-minute video above that explores whether shooting video at 4K resolution is worth it. Using both a Panasonic GH4 and a Sony FS700, Linus and his team take to discovering the links between video resolution, video bitrate, and downsampling.
- Combining quantum dot (QD) and photonic crystal technology could lead to brighter and more efficient displays and lighting.
- 17 Aug 2015:"Self-assembled, epitaxially grown" quantum dots have the highest optical quality. They randomly emerge (self-assemble) at the interface between two layers of a semiconductor crystal as it is built up layer-by-layer (epitaxially grown).
- Everdisplay, a company in China, showed off a 6-inch 4K display with a whopping 734 pixel-per-inch density. What's even more impressive is that it's the first 4K screen that is AMOLED.
- According to the website Tech Times, new information shows that the Surface Pro 4 is definitely on the way.
- The new iPhones and iPads to be launched in 2016 may have OLED displays.
- 29 Jul 2015:Netflix has revealed a launch schedule for its upcoming Originals content through to the end of 2016 - and people with 4K UHD TVs will be pleased to hear that a decent number of the new shows are going to be released in the higher-definition format.
- On many screens and from most seating positions, your eyes are unable to tell the difference between regular ol' HD and 4K. Where 4K does shine, however, is on large or those new-fangled HDR screens.
- 21 Jul 2015:Toshiba's chief executive and president Hisao Tanaka is to resign after the company said it had overstated its profits for the past six years.
- 20 Jul 2015:Corning has announced that its board of directors has authorized a new US$2 billion share repurchase program of the company's common stock. The program will expire on December 31, 2016.
- 17 Jul 2015:With a starting price of US$1,300, the new JS7000 4K TV is the least-expensive option in the company's flagship SUHD line.
- 15 Jul 2015:Applied Materials is using an industry trade show this week to try to persuade analysts that the company will be just as well off without merging with fellow tool-maker Tokyo Electron.
- 6 Jul 2015:Doubts over the sales prospects of Samsung Electronics' new flagship smartphones are damping expectations of a rapid turnaround for the South Korean giant, even though profit likely continues to recover from last year's troughs.
- 3 Jul 2015:Ultra HD 4K television: Should you buy one, what is there to watch and is it worth it? - International Bussiness TimesWalk into any high street electrical store and you'll be greeted by a wide range of 4K Ultra HD televisions, as manufacturers turn up the brightness and crank up the contrast ratio to convince you to splash out on a technology claimed to be four times better than HD.
- Tired of recording 'just' 1080p video on your iPhone while your friends produce clips in glorious 4K? You
- 30 Jun 2015:LG Electronics and Google agreed Tuesday to launch a joint marketing campaign to promote organic light-emitting diode (OLED) TVs.
- 29 Jun 2015:SSamsung Electronics and LG Electronics are mounting an all-out effort to sell their premium TV models, including the SUHD TV and the OLED TV. The future does not look so bright for the global TV market. However, the high-end TV market is still promising since emerging countries, including China, have not caught up with the companies.
- Focusing on four innovative applications, Merck unveils future display technologies at 2015 Touch Taiwan
- FORTREND Flexible Nano Liquid Diamond coated Touch Panel
- The rise of new enter in touch industry, TOI introduce large size IC to the market
- The Fortrend OGS received U.S. Patent Certificate
- Celebrate the 2014 FIFA World Cup with Digital Signage
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
- Digitimes Research: Touch IC developers turning to fingerprint sensors
- Digitimes Research: Dell high-end LCD monitors may be 24-, 27-inch models
- Is Quantum Dot the next big thing for the TV market?
LCD TV makers are responding to the challenge of OLED, with quantum dot (QD) technology, curved screens and other innovations. In order to boost consumer...
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
4K TVs continue to grow strong in the market and are expected to more than double in 2015. Panel makers and TV vendors alike are eying opportunities...
Touch Taiwan 2014 to be held in Taipei from August 27-29.
Compal Electronics was one of the pioneers that relocated its major production base to China from Taiwan...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
Historically, Computex has played a key role in the global IT ecosystem, complementing other tradeshows...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...