- 2 Dec 2013:South Korea's largest family-owned conglomerate, Samsung Group, on Monday promoted the group owner's daughter to president of its de-facto holding firm.
- 27 Nov 2013:More perilous than snark hunting is the annual search for the best big screen deal. The good news? You can ignore Black Friday and Cyber Monday (those sets are usually cheap clearance models). The bad news? There's scores of sets out there vying for your dollars and telling the difference between them in a box store can be nearly impossible.
- Google has invited another round of developers to purchase Google Glass, which is not yet on the market.
- Consumers can now waltz into many Apple stores and pick up an iPad Mini Retina for the first time. To date, availability was limited to online sales and pre-orders with customer pickup.
- 22 Nov 2013:Black Friday 2013 TV deals: HDTV, Smart TV sales at Walmart, Target, Best Buy (November 20) - ExaminerBlack Friday 2013 sales flyers are still coming out today with TV deals on HDTVs and Smart TVs like never before offered.
- It's not even Black Friday yet, and already big-name electronics manufacturers have begun drastically dropping the price of their Ultra HD TVs.
- Most people would agree that fossil fuels simply need to go. They're the cause of pollution, wars and climate change. Thankfully, scientists have been researching alternative energy solutions like wind and solar power for years.
- Inkjet printing could be the key to next-generation OLED displays (November 20) - MIT Technology ReviewColor-rich, energy-efficient, and flexible organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays could soon be churned out more economically on giant inkjet printers.
- 21 Nov 2013:LG is investigating allegations that some of its TVs send details about their owners' viewing habits back to the manufacturer even if the users have activated a privacy setting.
- 19 Nov 2013:LED LCD, OLED, and plasma. Of these current TV technologies, which one comes out on top?
- 15 Nov 2013:The appearance of indium gallium zinc oxide transistors in iPads shows that the display industry is poised to begin churning out a new breed of high-performance screens.
- Samsung Electronics plans to release a Galaxy smartphone next year with a three-sided display that wraps around the edges so users can read messages while looking from an angle, two people familiar with the plans said yesterday.
- 14 Nov 2013:Anyone who buys a UHD or 4K TV set right now faces that very first-world problem of finding content that's high-definition enough to show off the display. Samsung is lending a helping hand to buyers of its new 4K TV by shipping out full-size hard drives filled with UHD content.
- Samsung says it owes Apple $52M, much less than $380M Apple is seeking in patent trial (November 14) - Washington PostHow much does Samsung Electronics owe Apple for copying vital features of the iPhone and iPad? Apple says $380 million. Samsung counters with $52 million.
- 12 Nov 2013:Apple is developing new iPhone designs including bigger screens with curved glass and enhanced sensors that can detect different levels of pressure, said a person familiar with the plans.
- While LG and Samsung promote their curved handsets with bendable displays, rival Nokia appears to have been silently working on the next stage in flexible technology.
- 5 Nov 2013:
- 1 Nov 2013:StoreDot is an Israeli startup company that was established in 2011 to develop and commercialize new peptide-based technology originally discovered in Tel Aviv University. Storedot's technology allows them to synthesize new nano materials ("inspired by nature") that can be used in a wide variety of application - displays, batteries, memory and more.
- 25 Oct 2013:What does the future hold for our smartphones? Well according to chip maker Qualcomm the sky's the limit as manufacturers succumb to consumer's greed for bigger, better, more fantastical tech in their pocket.
- It looks like Samsung has had some quality control issues in the Chinese market, and China's population was left to deal with it.
- 22 Oct 2013:AT&T's live U-Verse TV streaming has at last reached Android. Subscribers can now watch over 100 live channels from their Google-powered hardware, including more than 20 channels that are available away from home.
- Microsoft's tablet debut is loud and colorful and full of enthusiasm. The only thing it's missing is people that want to buy its new tablet.
- Applied Materials extends leadership in metal oxide display manufacturing technology (October 16) - Company releaseApplied Materials has announced new technology systems for manufacturing large size and ultra-high definition (UHD) LCD and OLED displays that meet consumer demand for greater screen performance, clarity, color and brightness.
- 21 Oct 2013:
- Manufacturing large, ultra-high definition LCD and OLED displays (October 18) - Printed Electronics WorldApplied Materials, Inc. has announced new technology systems for manufacturing large size and ultra-high definition (UHD) LCD and OLED displays that meet consumer demand for greater screen performance, clarity, color and brightness.
- To say the past few months have been eventful for Universal Display investors seems like one heck of an understatement.
- Microsoft yanks Windows 8.1 update for Surface RT after "Blue Screen of Death" reports (October 20) - ComputerworldMicrosoft on Friday yanked the Windows RT 8.1 update from its Windows Store after some Surface RT owners reported their tablets had been crippled.
- 18 Oct 2013:Qualcomm's own Pixtronix and Sharp have collaborated on an all-new display that keeps image quality high while power consumption stays low.
- Will Apple's next generation of devices feature this display tech? (October 14) - Wall Street JournalWill Apple's next iPhones and iPads feature this new anti-reflective technology? A recently filed patent uncovered by Patently Apple suggests that the Cupertino-based company is close to implementing an improved display technology in its electronic devices.
- The new wrist computer is slim, waterproof and lasts at least three days on a single charge.
- The new manufacturing tech that will bring high-resolution displays to every device (October 17) - ExtremeTechApplied Materials is launching a trio of new manufacturing systems that are designed to address the limitations keeping next-generation displays out of reach of consumers.
- Samsung set-top box uses mediocre Smart TV software to compete with Roku, Apple TV (October 17) - The VergeSamsung isn't known for its software, but that hasn't stopped the company from pushing its Smart TV interface, which offers access to video streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and MLB.TV, as well as a selection of other utilities.
- The download seeks to address some of the criticisms levelled at the original version of Windows 8.
- 15 Oct 2013:Panasonic quits plasma TVs: The latest victim of LCD's rise to display supremacy (October 14) - ExtremeTechAnother one bites the dust. Panasonic is departing the plasma TV business after being its biggest champion for two decades.
- A roundup of the best products and most interesting stories this week from Reviewed.com.
- LG's LA9700 is the company's 65in Ultra HD television for 2013. Available in 55 and 65in sizes, the LA9700 features an integrated sound-bar, uses a full sheet of LEDs for backlighting, and has an Ultra HD-resolution that can show four times the detail of current Full HD panels.
- Toshiba has announced that the L9300U series of 4K ultra HD TVs is now available at select retailers the US.
- 11 Oct 2013:Samsung Electronics has launched a handset with a curved display screen. The Galaxy Round smartphone will feature a 5.7in display
- 4 Oct 2013:Its forecasts also indicate potentially slowing profit growth at its mobile business-a signal that its run of record results is under threat by rising competition and lower-margin phones taking up a bigger proportion of sales.
- 2 Oct 2013:Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Gear smartwatch is seen as an extension of the smartphone, but research is under way to see how the wearable device could work with electronics such as TVs.
- Seeking unlimited possibilities of Liquid Crystal and discovering new applications for daily life
- Atmel moves its groundbreaking XSense touch sensor into mass production
- Atmel achieves Windows 8 certification for XSense, the innovative flexible touch sensor material
- Digitimes Research: China second-tier panel makers shift away from production of large-size panels to small- to medium-size panels
- The world's first e-Paper display GPS cycle computer - SporTrek 1170
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
As Ultra HD TVs are gaining popularity in the market due to their increased resolution and decreased pricing, coupled with vendors' plans to work more...
Touch Taiwan 2013 exhibition will take place from August 28-30 in Taipei and will feature major players in the industry, such as Sharp, Truly Optoelectronics,...
Ultra HD TV panels are a hot topic for the TV industry in 2013, but market observers have mixed views as to how far they will penetrate into the market...
Taiwan-based TFT-LCD panel maker AU Optronics (AUO) saw its business operation swing from total net...
Taiwan-based Chimei Group, once a major LCD panel maker, now focuses on providing upstream components...
Singapore-based Gajah International Pte Ltd (Gajah) has won several Computex 2013 Design and Innovation...
Leading cover glass manufacturer Corning has been continuing to expand its influence in the cover glass...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...