- 21 Apr 2014:Ultra HD (sometimes called "4K") televisions have been around for more than a year, but until now held limited appeal. Prices were stratospheric, making it hard to justify a bump in clarity. Now Ultra HD prices are flying closer to Earth: Brand-name sets start below $2,500, and $5,000 will get you Samsung's top 65-inch curved-screen HU9000, which I tested this week.
- LG is planning on flooding the market with glassless TVs in 2017.
- 18 Apr 2014:LG Display Co., a South Korean maker of flat-panel screens for TVs and smartphones, expects the outlook for its key business to get worse this year due to a rapid fall in panel prices, but its first-quarter earnings could beat analysts' expectations, a senior company executive said Thursday.
- 8 Apr 2014:
- 1 Apr 2014:The Korean electronics giant is weeks away from delivering 28 inches of Ultra HD goodness at a price that should continue the march toward mainstream 4K adoption.
- Almost everything about an Apple-Comcast television service is guesswork at this point - and, unsurprisingly, neither Apple nor Comcast are talking about it.
- 28 Mar 2014:Sony has announced a new e-ink based digital reader aimed at the professional market, named the Digital Paper.
- 25 Mar 2014:Review: Sharp's 32" 4K display is a high-performance workhorse made for Apple's Mac Pro (Mar 230 - Apple InsiderApple has made clear its intent to support ultra high-resolution displays with the latest Mac and OS X products, but without a 4K display of its own (yet) the company sells only one UHD monitor as a go-along with its flagship Mac Pro: Sharp's PN-K321.
- 21 Mar 2014:Samsung Display plans to hike its investment in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) by as much as 14 percent this year from a year ago to meet the rising demand for panels that provide ultra high-definition (UHD) picture quality.
- South Korea's tech giant Samsung Electronics said Friday it will make efforts to tap deeper into the US Ultra HD (UHD) TV market and roll out customized product lineups for consumers there.
- 19 Mar 2014:
- 14 Mar 2014:LG Electronics has been super aggressive in its mission to dominate the next-generation TV world, and it's just upped the ante with the launch of its 2014 TV lineup in its home nation of Korea - unveiling no less than 68 brand new models.
- In the evolution of resolution, 4K is the next step up from 1080p. Standard definition started with a resolution of 640x480 (480i/p), then we went up to HD for the first time with 1280x720 (720p), and finally topped out at 1920x1080 (1080i/p) for awhile.
- 11 Mar 2014:Here come the Retina Macs? Apple reportedly adding ?˜pixel doubled' 4K monitor support to OS X (March 7) - TimeApple's reportedly poised to shore up ultra high-definition display support across its desktop and laptop lines.
- 7 Mar 2014:Apple building support for driving 4K displays at ?˜Retina' resolution, 60Hz output from 2013 MacBook Pros - 9to5Mac.comEarlier today, Apple provided developers with the first beta for the upcoming release of OS X Mavericks version 10.9.3.
- Even though CES 2014 is long gone, some of the stuff announced there is just now starting to become available for purchase.
- 6 Mar 2014:Hillcrest Labs and Bosch Sensortec collaborate on sensor hub solution for head-mounted displays and wearable devices (March 6) - Company releaseHillcrest Labs and Bosch Sensortec have announced a partnership to launch a new sensor solution for head-mounted displays (HMDs).
- 24 Feb 2014:Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth claims that Apple has acquired a large supply of sapphire displays, possibly alluding to displays with sapphire material that would be used on a future Apple iPhone.
- 18 Feb 2014:As if 3D TV and OLED vs. plasma vs. LED TVs and 120Hz and the Soap Opera Effect weren't confusing enough, in the last year we have seen the rise of a new HDTV technology called 4K. Or if you use its official name, Ultra High Definition (UHD).
- 10 Feb 2014:Struggling chip-maker Renesas Electronics will withdraw from the market for small liquid crystal displays as part of efforts to turn around its business, an industry source said Saturday.
- 7 Feb 2014:The iPhone maker appears to be ramping up its plans for sapphire displays in future mobile devices, according to a report from 9to5Mac.
- 6 Feb 2014:Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Coming: Rumors Suggest 10-MP Camera, New Screen Technology, Possible June Launch (Feb 4) - International Bussiness TimesA newly released report hit the Web Monday, fueling iPhone 6 rumors that Apple's next generation will come in two different sizes.
- 28 Jan 2014:Apple patents sapphire display tech after last year's US$578 million deal with sapphire maker (Jan 23) - TechCrunchApple has had a patent approved today (via AppleInsider) that could make it a leader in a new kind of display material technology: Sapphire glass.
- A woman driving to a job interview gets lost. Not wanting to be late, she pulls up a map and the transparent display appears on her windshield, helping her find her way.
- 23 Jan 2014:Something's afoot at Tivo, and it started today with five lay-offs.
- 22 Jan 2014:Global phablet shipments to reach over 120 million by 2018, finds Juniper Research (January 21) - Company releasePhablets, smartphones with displays 5.6 inches and above, are forecast to flourish in Far East and China, Juniper Research said in its new report.
- 21 Jan 2014:New research from market analysis firm IHS appears to have confirmed the bad news given to us by Samsung last week - that it'll be several years before OLED TV hits the mainstream, as all bar one television maker focus their efforts on ultra high-definition (UHD) displays instead.
- According to South Korean news site ETNews, Samsung used CES 2014 to secretly showcase a new smartphone prototype to VIP attendees. The kicker? The new device apparently features a foldable touch-sensitive OLED display.
- TAITRA looking for next big thing in display panel sector (Jan 15) - China Post (USE The China Post)The Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA) in a press event yesterday outlined its primary objectives for the year, and urged Taiwan's display panel industry toward innovating new products and technologies to face off against tremendous competition from across the strait.
- Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display (Jan 20) - Apple InsiderMonday morning brought two questionable reports about Apple's plans for the future, with one Korean publication speculating that LG has won a contract to supply displays for Apple's still-unannounced "iWatch" and a Chinese website claiming a next-gen 4.7-inch iPhone will be unveiled at WWDC.
- 17 Jan 2014:A research firm reports that the iPhone 6 could ship with a 5.5-inch display with 1920 x 1080 resolution, yielding a density of 401 pixels per inch (ppi). It's about time.
- Windows 8 is chock-full of good ideas, but the execution is still lacking at times. As Windows 9 rumors swirl, here are five things we'd like to see Microsoft include.
- Using a sensor, chip and antenna, the smart lens could monitor a diabetic's glucose levels.
- 16 Jan 2014:Samsung made waves at the 2014 International CES last week with the unveiling of its Galaxy Note Pro and Galaxy Tab Pro tablets, but behind the scenes, the manufacturer was showing off technology, which may be featured in future devices.
- From smartphones and high-definition TVs to digital displays, display technology has advanced in leaps and bounds to become ubiquitous the world over.
- Korean company rumoured to be readying release of metal and plastic version of S5 after slow sales of 2013's Galaxy S4.
- Pivot Acquisition Corp. Chairman and Former Apple CEO John Sculley discusses Apple products and how he thinks that we will see a wild product in 2014.
- 10 Jan 2014:Popularizing ultra-high-definition TV and making homes "smarter" will be the major focus for South Korean technology giant Samsung Electronics in 2014, the company's co-CEO said in a rare interview at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
- 8 Jan 2014:Danish electronics manufacturer Bang & Olufsen is now shipping the latest version of the Opera Devices Software Development Kit on selected high-end connected TVs.
- 7 Jan 2014:Vizio is not including 3D support in any models of its 2014 lineup of TVs - a concrete sign the CE industry's stereoscopic dreams are fading. Instead, Vizio is pinning future growth on Ultra HD, launching a new series of 4K-capable sets with support for Netflix's content in the high-resolution format.
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan LCD monitor shipments reach 24.47 million in 4Q13
- Fortrend upgrades OGS touch panels with anti-interference capability
- Fortrend Liquid Diamond layer provides anti-germ capability 4 times that of untreated glass
- Seeking unlimited possibilities of Liquid Crystal and discovering new applications for daily life
- Atmel moves its groundbreaking XSense touch sensor into mass production
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digital Signage Expo 2012 opens conference registration
- Subkarma invited OPTOTECH to take part in the '2011 Taipei World Design Expo'
- Digitimes Research: Single-layer multi-touch technology to enter tablet touch panel market
- Digitimes Research: ITO film price drop to slow metal mesh penetration in mid-size touch applications
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels not as popular as expected
- Will AUO and Innolux merge?
- Digitimes Research: Insufficient panel supplies to limit 2K-resolution smartphone penetration in 2014
Ultra HD is now the industry name for "4K" resolution
Flexible displays are expected to become more widely used in mobile applications in 2014. But how flexible will they be? Due to constraints in components...
China panel makers are continuing to increase their production capacity in addition to improving their technology. Some market observers say this is...
As Ultra HD TVs are gaining popularity in the market due to their increased resolution and decreased pricing, coupled with vendors' plans to work more...
While Digitimes is known as a media outlet, the company also includes a business unit that solely focuses...
Taiwan-based TFT-LCD panel maker AU Optronics (AUO) saw its business operation swing from total net...
Taiwan-based Chimei Group, once a major LCD panel maker, now focuses on providing upstream components...
Singapore-based Gajah International Pte Ltd (Gajah) has won several Computex 2013 Design and Innovation...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- A glimpse into the e-book reader market - May 2010
In 2008, worldwide e-book reader shipments totaled only 700,000 units, according to Digitimes Research. But demand exploded in 2009 as consumer interests grew...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Large-size LCD panel overview - Jun 2007
Global large-size LCD panel market revenues are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% to US$96.2 billion by 2011, up from US$53.5...