- 28 Nov 2014:4K TVs have been available for several years now, but shipments in 2014 have significantly accelerated due to broader competition and more accessible price points activating new consumer groups.
- Apple has updated its support document detailing 4K displays with Mac support to add LG's recently announced 31-inch 4K monitor (31MU97).
- So to help you make a more informed decision, especially given that this has been a far from vintage year for TV quality generally, here's my list of the 10 best TVs (five 4K, five HD) I've tested in 2014.
- 26 Nov 2014:
- The Quintic Wearable & BTLE team of approximately 65 world class engineers located in China (Beijing, Shenzhen, Shanghai) and Sunnyvale, CA, and its leadership is expected to join NXP at close of this transaction which is targeted for Q1 2015.
- 25 Nov 2014:South Korea's Samsung Electronics has secured a licence to invest US$3 billion to expand its production in northern Vietnam, the Vietnamese government said.
- Samsung Electronics spent KRW1.38 trillion (US$1.2 billion) in patent fees in the nine months to September, the most in four years, the company said.
- For the solar and wind industries in the United States, it has been a long-held dream: to produce energy at a cost equal to conventional sources like coal and natural gas.
- Here, instead of Jamba Juice you get Joshua trees. The only living things you might bump into are bighorn sheep and cottontail rabbits, and, once the sun sets, every star in the sky pops with laser clarity.
- Prices for 4K monitors have dropped below $500, bringing them within the reach of cost-conscious buyers looking to replace 1080p displays.
- I recently spent a month with two of AOC's latest models: a 24-incher with NVIDIA G-Sync support for serious gaming, and a 4K 28-inch display that puts a premium on pixels. Could either one convince me to let go of my trusty Viewsonic?
- Apple packed the biggest display it's ever made onto the iPhone 6 Plus, and while its 1920?1080 resolution is great for streaming 1080p videos, it turns out that Apple also secretly added 4K video support without telling anyone.
- OLED displays and smart-phone/tablet screens are going to see "spectacular" growth rates over the next few years according to a stud from Infiniti Research/TechNavio. The analyst firm say that the global OLED display market will grow at a CAGR of 36.7% in the period to 2018.
- A review of Apple's recent job listings suggests Universal Display's long-term future might include spots inside Apple's iDevices.
- RF Micro Devices (RFMD) and TriQuint Semiconductor have set Wednesday, December 31, 2014, as the anticipated closing date for the transaction.
- Xilinx and NXP collaborate to reduce capex and opex costs of wireless infrastructure radios (Nov 19) - Company releaseXilinx and NXP have announced their collaboration to reduce capex and opex costs of wireless infrastructure radios.
- Marvell's ARMADA Mobile PXA1802 5-mode 4G LTE modem is at the core of Meizu's flagship MX4 Pro Premium smartphone, now available for more than one billion of combined subscribers of China Mobile and China Unicom.
- Japan, which once looked like a world leader as it pushed its Home Energy Management System (HEMS) and the smart home standard, is now trying to get her groove back via the Internet of Things.
- 24 Nov 2014:Samsung Electronics is considering a major leadership shake-up, according to people familiar with the matter, part of an attempt to revive its fortunes after a difficult year that has hurt its profitability, market share and stock price.
- 23 Nov 2014:Qualcomm, which uses processor technology licensed from ARM, follows a handful of other ARM chip suppliers that are trying to offer server chips.
- Qualcomm said it is holding "difficult discussions" with Chinese authorities as the world's largest maker of mobile-phone chips tries to resolve an investigation that's hurting the collection of licensing revenue.
- Nokia is launching an Android-powered tablet, marking the Finnish company's return to consumer electronics. The surprise launch pits the firm against Microsoft, which completed its takeover of Nokia's previous mobile-devices business in April.
- 21 Nov 2014:According to Qualcomm, who builds many of today's key technologies in mobile, 4K smartphones are just around the corner, and they'll take pixel counts to an - arguably absurd - new level.
- It's not an easy time to be shopping for a new TV. Do you want that crisp 4K resolution, or a gorgeous new OLED display?
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone makers increase overseas shipments by 53% in 3Q14
- Digitimes Research: Global tablet shipments to reach 74.53 million in 4Q14
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan small- to medium-size panel shipments reach 329.7 million in 3Q14
- Digitimes Research: China makers to drop Full HD panel pricing by 11.5% in 2015
- Advantest introduces newest parametric measurement module to extend SoC testing capabilities of T2000 platform
- Knowles Corporation Taiwan celebrates its 40th anniversary
- Indium Corporation expands Malaysia technical support, adds team members
- EverFocus announces the release of EMV401/801/1601 hybrid mobile DVR
- Tatung announces commercial availability of standards-based module for EV charging
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- GamerGate block list bad for business as game devs, journalists and fried chicken linked to online harassment
- Will Xiaomi be a target for Foxconn's new collaboration with Innolux?
- Digitimes Research: China makers Bitland, BYD to join Chromebook supply chain in 2015
- Digitimes Research: Samsung, white-box players looking to take over 10-15 million feature phone demand from Microsoft Mobile
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo, Asustek to launch US$149 Chromebook
With the global LED lighting application market taking off, and business opportunities emerging fast,...
NOR flash memory supplier Macronix International is looking to expand its presence in the automotive...
Despite years of enthusiasm for wireless charging technology, the market for wireless charging applications...
Laser printers have been dominating the business-use segment. But Seiko Epson has launched a bid to...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...