- 19 Feb 2014:South Korean multinational conglomerates Samsung and LG are considering setting up units to manufacture electronic chips in India, following the government's clearance to build two such semiconductor units.
- 17 Feb 2014:Samsung Electronics Co said a memory chip plant being built in China will start operations as planned in the first half of 2014 and the company will remain flexible about further investment in the factory.
- AMD is rolling out its server CPU platform based on ARM's 64-bit technology - the first of such collaboration between the two firms. The Opteron A1100 series chip, codenamed Seattle, is fabricated using 28nm process technology, and the chip maker plans to sample it this quarter.
- 14 Feb 2014:ARM enhances IP suite for 2015 mid-range mobile and consumer markets (February 11) - Company releaseARM has announced an enhanced suite of higher performance and more energy-efficient products specifically designed for the rapidly growing mid-range mobile and consumer electronics markets.
- 13 Feb 2014:Chipmaker Microchip Technology said it would buy Supertex for US$394 million in cash to bolster its business that supplies to the medical, LED lighting, industrial and telecommunication industries.
- 12 Feb 2014:Sony has entered negotiations with Apple to double its supply of camera components for a new iPhone slated to roll out as early as next year.
- 11 Feb 2014:Infineon projects higher sales as car and security units pick up (January 30) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Infineon Technologies has projected sales growth in its fiscal second quarter as orders for automotive and identity-checking components rise.
- ARM and SMIC broaden IP partnership with 28nm process for mobile and consumer applications (February 9) - Company releaseARM and SMIC have announced an agreement to offer the ARM Artisan physical IP platform for SMIC's 28nm poly SiON process to provide high-performance, high-density and low-power technologies for SoC designs.
- 10 Feb 2014:Struggling chip-maker Renesas Electronics will withdraw from the market for small liquid crystal displays as part of efforts to turn around its business, an industry source said Saturday.
- IBM is exploring a sale of its semiconductor business in what would be its most significant strategic move since it faced a financial crisis in the early 1990s.
- 6 Feb 2014:Both companies gain access to each other's industry-leading patent portfolios under the agreement, which covers a broad range of products and technologies.
- Under the terms of the licensing arrangement, Imagination will receive on-going license fees, and royalty revenues on shipment of SoCs (Systems on Chip) incorporating Imagination's IP.
- Cadence to enhance high-level synthesis offering with acquisition of Forte Design Systems (February 5) - Company releaseCadence Design Systems has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Forte Design Systems, a provider of SystemC-based high-level synthesis (HLS) and arithmetic IP.
- 29 Jan 2014:Qualcomm may be hit with a record fine exceeding US$1 billion in a Chinese antitrust probe, raising the specter of harsh penalties for foreign firms facing an increasingly aggressive regulator.
- 28 Jan 2014:Sir John Buchanan, chairman of ARM, is preparing to step down from the role less than a year after the departure of long-term chief executive Warren East.
- 24 Jan 2014:The portfolio, comprising approximately 1,400 granted patents and pending patent applications from the US and approximately 1,000 granted patents and pending patent applications from other countries, covers technologies that include fundamental mobile operating system techniques.
- 23 Jan 2014:Flash memory card maker SanDisk has reported an increase in profits for the fourth quarter, due largely to higher revenues and strong margins.
- ASML CEO sees EUV machines reaching improved norms by 2017 (January 22) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)ASML expects new extreme ultraviolet lithography machines to reach a production standard that satisfies all of its semiconductor-equipment customers by 2017, CEO Peter Wennink said.
- 22 Jan 2014:AMD on Tuesday said it will be sampling 64-bit ARM system-on-a-chip (SoC) products to customers this quarter and is "on track to launch one of the industry's first 64-bit ARM server SoCs in 2014."
- Intel confirms using ARM-based chip core in smartwatch it demoed at CES (January 21) - ComputerworldFor years, Intel has been battling to replace ARM-based chips used in smartphones and other mobile devices. Now it has partly succumbed to the low-power ARM approach.
- The chipmaker announced that it was cutting 1,100 jobs in the US, India and Japan as it moves to "reduce investments in markets that do not offer sustainable growth and returns."
- AMD was profitable for the second consecutive quarter, thanks in large part to the success of the gaming consoles from Microsoft and Sony that are powered by the vendor's chips.
- Renesas Electronics will slash 5,400 jobs in Japan, or about one quarter of its domestic workforce, reports said Wednesday, as the struggling Japanese chipmaker overhauls its money-losing business.
- 21 Jan 2014:Chipmaker Intel said Friday it plans to reduce its global workforce by over 5,000 people over the next year.
- 20 Jan 2014:The slow pace of change in the flash-manufacturing industry means that prices of SSDs will likely hold steady compared to 2013, but price hikes could be in the offing.
- 17 Jan 2014:Panasonic plans to sell three chip-assembly plants in Southeast Asia to Singapore's United Test and Assembly Center (UTAC), sources familiar with the matter said on Friday, as part of Panasonic's global reorganisation.
- 16 Jan 2014:South Korea's Samsung has sold its entire stake in British chip maker CSR shortly after the company said it was retreating from the digital camera market.
- 15 Jan 2014:Intel puts new Arizona processor plant on hold amid PC slump (January 14) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Intel said it will delay opening a new factory in Arizona amid a slump in demand for PC microprocessors, its main source of revenue.
- Marvell Technology might be the next big client for Intel's contract manufacturing operations, said Citigroup's chip analyst Glen Yeung.
- 14 Jan 2014:
- 10 Jan 2014:Intel will add support for DDR4 memory to its high-end computers in the third quarter of 2014, sources familiar with the company's plans said.
- Canon is shifting capacity back to Japan in an apparent vindication of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's yen-weakening policies, which have made it more profitable for some Japanese manufacturers to produce and export from home.
- An explosion and fire at a Mitsubishi Materials chemical plant in central Japan on Thursday afternoon killed five people and injured at least 12 others, Yokkaichi police said.
- 9 Jan 2014:ARM chief Simon Segars expects low-cost smartphones to drive sales (January 9) - Daily Telegraph (UK)ARM's chief executive has said the emergence of low-cost smartphones and Apple's move into China will drive sales at the British microchip designer.
- MediaTek is demonstrating its first LTE modem platform in its booth at CES 2014 located inside the Venetian Hotel, Las Vegas.
- 8 Jan 2014:United Microelectronics (UMC) has surpassed 15 million shipments for customer small display driver ICs (SDDI) manufactured using the foundry's 55nm embedded high voltage (eHV) technology.
- G.SKILL Releases World's Fastest DDR4 3333MHz Memory, Available Now! The Bleeding Edge of Speed Has Arrived!
- Indium Corporation announces new EZ-Pour Gallium Trichloride
- Genesys Logic announces a reference design pairing its USB 3.0 card reader controller GL3221 with NFC transceiver ST95HF from STMicroelectronics
- Indium Corporation expands Shenzhen sales office to accommodate growth
- Entegris offers new VaporSorb filter for advanced yield protection in semiconductor processing
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Perforce Software Introduces Perforce Swarm
- Perforce Unveils Git Fusion, Improving Git Experience
- ATO Solution Co., Ltd. to launch 1Gb SLC NAND Flash after 256Mb/512Mb mass production for the first time in Fab-less industry
- Chilisin's miniature power inductor in 0603/0805 sizes
- Chilisin introduces Thin-film chip inductor 0201 size
- Digitimes Research: Intel looking to promote x86 architecture to China chip designers
- Digitimes Research: Hisilicon AP to give Huawei cost advantage in high-end mobile device market
- Digitimes Research: Google looking to clean up Android device mess in emerging markets
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm far ahead of Marvell and MediaTek in China LTE market
- Turning a smartphone into a PC in a pocket: Q&A with Analogix
Semicon Taiwan 2014 will kick off in Taipei from September 3-5, with this year's theme focusing on advanced wafer processes, next-generation memory technologies,...
Digitimes Research expects Taiwan's IC backend production to outperform global average n 2014
TSMC and UMC see strong results for 1Q14
MediaTek's presence in China has been expanding.
MediaTek has taken up to 60% of the 3G handset solution market in China, pushing the market value of...
According to a recent IDC research note, the transition toward mobile and cloud-based computing is...
Until recently, Vitesse Semiconductor saw its core market as being the carrier Ethernet market, particularly...
Intel was one of the main driving forces behind the consumer PC era of desktops and notebooks, but...
- Taiwan DRAM module industry overview - Jun 2011
The year 2010 represented a peak in recent years for the DRAM module industry. Optimism surfaced in the second half of 2009 thanks to a return of demand on the...
- Taiwan DRAM-module industry overview - May 2010
Back to 2006 when total revenues for the third-party module market reached US$12.2 billion, Taiwan had over 15 vendors shipping DRAM modules under their own brand...
- Taiwan semiconductor equipment industry overview - Aug 2008
Worries about a global economic downturn have taken a toll on a number of industries, with the semiconductor industry being no exception. Players in the semiconductor...
- Foundry overview - Sep 2006
Taiwan's semiconductor industry has begun to out-run its global peers, once more, in 2006. This followed a trough in 2004, caused by over-inventory, plus volatility...