- 21 Apr 2016:ASML forecast rising sales for this quarter, while predicting pressure on earnings as the introduction of new technology boosts costs.
- Apple A-series chip supplier Samsung this week announced plans to put a next-generation 10-nanometer chip fabrication process into production later in 2016, with the new technology supposedly affording a 10% increase in efficiency over existing iterations.
- Investors don't know for sure how much of Qualcomm's revenue and profits are directly attributable to the iPhone. But analysts have recently estimated that if Intel won 30% to 40% of the iPhone chips, it would reduce Qualcomm's earnings per share next year by 6% to 9%.
- Qualcomm indicated on an earnings call Wednesday that it may be losing some orders from Apple for modem chips that link the iPhone to the web.
- 19 Apr 2016:Intel is preparing a significant round of job cuts across business units this spring, according to multiple sources inside the company familiar with its plans.
- Samsung Electronics is co-developing EMI shielding process that uses spray method with Protec, which is a South Korean company specializing in dispenser, Asymtek from the US, Hansol Chemical and Ntrium. While Protec and Asymtek are developing equipment, Hansol Chemical and Ntrium are developing EMI masking material that is in a form of ink. Samsung is planning to supply NAND-flash package with EMI shield to Apple when equipment and material are developed. It is predicted that supply will be possible starting from 2017.
- Toyota was halting production at plants across the country because the earthquakes disrupted its supply chain.
- 18 Apr 2016:The Kumamoto Prefecture is relatively small, contributing only 1.1% of Japan's GDP. But it is home to several semiconductor production plants and is sometimes called Japan's Silicon Island.
- 17 Apr 2016:Toshiba said Friday that it has cut 14,450 jobs worldwide, roughly 30% more than planned, as it struggles to get back on its feet following a damaging book-cooking scandal.
- Tsinghua Unigroup Chairman said the company has no intentions of buying Lattice Semiconductor after disclosing a 6% stake in the company.
- 14 Apr 2016:Samsung Electronics is widening its lead with competitors in the solid-state drive (SSD) market, which is considered a growing field in the NAND memory semiconductor industry, dominating the market.
- Abundant financial resources available from China's National IC Industry Investment Fund, often called the Big Fund, augmented local government-led funds, have lent China's "memory" dream an air of credibility. But setting aside China's aspirations, there is intense scrutiny here about the sources of IPs and engineering talent that China badly needs.
- China's Tsinghua Unigroup unveiled a stake of roughly 6% in Lattice Semiconductor on Wednesday, sending shares of the US chip manufacturer soaring 18% on speculation of a possible acquisition.
- 12 Apr 2016:Bunsei Kure, if approved, will be the third CEO of the troubled Japanese chip company, after Hisao Sakuta-who oversaw Renesas' restructuring and brought it back into the black. Sakuta stepped down a year ago.
- 11 Apr 2016:There is increasing evidence that Intel is likely to gain 20%-30% share in the iPhone 7 modem - the first time since 2011 with the iPhone 4 that Intel will be a baseband supplier for Apple.
- 7 Apr 2016:The improved outlook comes amid reports of strong sales of its latest flagship smartphone models, the Galaxy S7.
- 6 Apr 2016:The patent application, filed in South Korea, shows a contact lens equipped with a tiny display, a camera, an antenna, and several sensors that detect movement and the most basic form of input using your eyes: blinking. The display projects images directly into the eye of the wearer. An external device, a smartphone, is needed for processing.
- Marvell Technology directors fired the husband-and-wife management team that founded and led the chip maker for two decades, responding to a series of reverses including accounting issues that prompted investigations by the company's board and government agencies.
- 5 Apr 2016:Intel executive Aicha Evans is leaving the company less than a year into her tenure as head of the semiconductor maker's struggling mobile phone division.
- 31 Mar 2016:Micron Technology gave a fiscal third-quarter forecast that missed analysts' estimates due to weaker demand for personal computer components.
- Multiple reports indicate Samsung's Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are seeing stronger-than-expected initial sales.
- 30 Mar 2016:EDA and IP vendor Synopsys has introduced a new custom design tool that aims to help offset design challenges posed by the era of FinFETs with an intuitive concept dubbed visually assisted automation.
- 29 Mar 2016:Both the new MediaTek Helio X20 and Helio X25 System-on-Chips are cited in these unreleased and unseen Galaxy S7 models as well as the Samsung Exynos 8890.
- 28 Mar 2016:The takeover bid by Hon Hai of Taiwan for Sharp, a chronically loss-making Japanese electronics firm, is being watched closely as a test of Japan's openness to foreign investment. But it is also being scrutinised back in Taiwan.
- The semiconductor industry needs to consider new business models based on open source hardware, re-programmable silicon and Features-as-a-Service to drive its next phase of growth.
- Samsung has begun shipping its dynamic random access memory (DRAM) chips made with 18-nanometer tech at its fabrication lines in Hwaseong, south of Seoul.
- 24 Mar 2016:Zhao Weiguo wants to create China's first giant in the global semiconductor industry and has a $30 billion investment plan to do it.
- 23 Mar 2016:On a positive note for TSMC, it looks like the company is gearing up for production in May of the "A10" processor for Apple's next flagship phone, presumably an "iPhone 7."
- Apple in "advanced talks" to acquire Imagination Technologies for PowerVR GPU (Mar 22) - Ars TechnicaApple is in "advanced talks" to acquire British chip design company Imagination Technologies, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions. When Ars sought comment, Imagination Technologies refused to deny any such planned takeover.
- 22 Mar 2016:Andy Grove, a technology pioneer credited with helping build Silicon Valley, died on Monday, bringing tributes from across the tech industry.
- Chipmaker Broadcom, the company created following the merger of Avago and Broadcom, said it would cut about 1,900 jobs globally across its businesses.
- Samsung Electronics plans to sharply cut its investments in memory chips as part of plans to focus on offsetting the growing risks of the industry's downturn.
- 21 Mar 2016:MediaTek has announced the Imagiq image signal processor for its MediaTek Helio high-end smartphone chipset solutions.
- 18 Mar 2016:Shares of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company hit a new 52-week high of US$25.80 on Mar 16, eventually closing at US$25.78.
- 17 Mar 2016:Globalfoundries has announced new advanced radio-frequency (RF) silicon solutions, further expanding the portfolio of Silicon Germanium (SiGe) power amplifier (PA) technologies designed to enable performance-optimized cellular and Wi-Fi solutions in increasingly sophisticated mobile devices and hardware.
- Imagination Technologies, the British company whose graphics power Apple's iPhone, said it would make new cost cuts, including job losses, to speed up a turnaround plan.
- The transaction is expected to be completed during the second quarter of 2016.
- Having trailed behind both Intel and Nvidia in the PC graphics market in recent years, AMD is preparing to go all in on virtual reality.
- Kyocera will spend about JPY15 billion (US$132 million) to double production capacity for flip-chip chip scale package (FC CSP)substrates. These items carry the central processing unit, communication modules and sensors, and connect to the printed circuit board which holds other components such as resistors.
- Digitimes Research: Korea memory-IC industry output value to increase 5% in 2Q16
- UMC Holds 2016 Japan Technology Forum
- Securing a place in the high-end market: AVEXIR Technologies general manager Han-Hong Cheng gives a ten-year outlook on the company's future
- ASI is now Avexir official distributor in region of North America
- Macronix looks to build on automotive success with its high-performance Serial NOR Flash by eyeing ADAS opportunities
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Tsinghua Unigroup acquisition of Micron faces difficulties, but is a must for China for further development
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to push inexpensive mobile device market with Microsoft and Allwinner solutions
Earthquakes in Japan often cause huge damage. They have had strong impacts on the country's electronics industry.
A CNY120 billion (US$19 billion) national industry investment fund has been set up to help local foundries finance the build-up of advanced manufacturing...
Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) is seeking to acquire an up to 25% stake in fellow packaging house Siliconware Precision Industries (SPIL).
After acquiring MStar Semiconductor, MediaTek has announced more acquisitions.
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has been outspoken with his predictions about future technologies and products,...
At this point most consumers are not that familiar with the USB Type C specification but it has the...
China-based Tsinghua Unigroup is currently riding high in the global semiconductor industry with a...
- Taiwan DRAM module industry overview - Jun 2011
The year 2010 represented a peak in recent years for the DRAM module industry. Optimism surfaced in the second half of 2009 thanks to a return of demand on the...
- Taiwan DRAM-module industry overview - May 2010
Back to 2006 when total revenues for the third-party module market reached US$12.2 billion, Taiwan had over 15 vendors shipping DRAM modules under their own brand...
- Taiwan semiconductor equipment industry overview - Aug 2008
Worries about a global economic downturn have taken a toll on a number of industries, with the semiconductor industry being no exception. Players in the semiconductor...
- Foundry overview - Sep 2006
Taiwan's semiconductor industry has begun to out-run its global peers, once more, in 2006. This followed a trough in 2004, caused by over-inventory, plus volatility...