- 12 Nov 2014:
- Intel CEO Brian Krzanich expects new semiconductor partners in China to migrate to the US chipmaker's architecture within a few years and give up on ARM technology more widely used in smartphones and tablets.
- 11 Nov 2014:Imagination PowerVR Series7 GPUs target applications from wearables to servers (Nov 10) - Company releasePowerVR Series7 is architected for the broadest range of next-generation products from wearables and IoT through automotive, mobile and consumer electronics devices, up to high-performance GPU compute.
- Princeton creates a custom 3D printer that prints quantum dot LEDs from scratch (Nov 5) - ExtremeTechMany scientists are interested in utilizing the tenets of 3D printing and additive manufacturing to construct small electronic devices completely from scratch, such as the a new type of LED built by researchers at Princeton University.
- LG Display has revealed its future plans for P-OLED displays, which could include using the new type of screen on smartphones, tablets, computers, and even TVs.
- Samsung Electronics has announced plans to spend up to $3bn (£1.8bn) to create a new smartphone factory in Vietnam.
- 10 Nov 2014:
- Regulators have approved a long-awaited plan to connect the Hong Kong and Shanghai stock exchanges.
- According to industry sources, Apple has decided to discontinue its use of triple-level cell (TLC) NAND, since the company believes that the functional defects plaguing the 64GB iPhone 6 and the 128GB iPhone 6+ stem from a problem in the controller IC of the TLC NAND flash. The controller IC in question is reportedly made by SSD maker Anobit, which was sold to Apple in 2011.
- The leaders of China and South Korea have reached broad agreement on a bilateral free-trade deal, allowing Korean firms enhanced access to China's huge market and marking a diplomatic victory of sorts for Beijing.
- Samsung overtakes ITC to become second-largest consumer-facing products company (Nov 6) - Economic TimesSamsung has overtaken ITC to become India's second-largest consumer-facing products company by revenues, and now looks set to better Maruti this fiscal to take the top slot.
- 8 Nov 2014:Worldwide smartphone shipments increase 25.2% in 3Q14 with heightened competition and growth beyond Samsung and Apple, Says IDC (Oct 29) - IDCNew smartphone releases and an increased emphasis on emerging markets drove global smartphone shipments above 300 million units for the second consecutive quarter.
- Korean manufacturers' smartphone exports dropped by 35.5% year-on-year in October 2014 due to the release of Apple's iPhone 6 and a rapid sales decline in China and the ASEAN region.
- The new smartphone, set to debut on November 11, drops the Nokia logo and marks a new chapter for the Lumia family of mobile devices.
- GT Advanced COO: Apple told us 'put on your big boy pants and accept the agreement' (Nov 7) - Mac RumorsApple and GT Advanced fought to keep key documents related to their sapphire agreement out of the public eye after the latter company filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection, but earlier this week, a judge ruled that the documents did not contain trade secrets or confidential information, and would thus be largely unsealed.
- 7 Nov 2014:Globalfoundries and Invecas intro new dedicated design service partner for leading-edge technologies (Nov 6) - Company releaseGlobalfoundries has announced a partnership with Invecas, a newly formed design services provider focused on accelerating customer introduction of new products on leading-edge semiconductor process technologies.
- Social media giant Twitter has said it will open an office in Hong Kong in the first quarter of 2015.
- While our policymakers in Washington, D.C., may think that energy has become an overly partisan issue, voters across the nation broadly support many energy-related measures.
- Utility Southern California Edison announced that it will acquire 2200 megawatts (MW) of new power generation assets, of which 250 MW will be energy storage systems.
- The new Ultra HD screen could be ready in time for Samsung's next Galaxy Note device, according to blog site Phone Arena.
- I have seen the future of high definition displays and lo, it is glorious. Not to mention rollable, foldable, and clearly superior to LCD/LED-really every other panel technology available today.
- 6 Nov 2014:Synaptics has completed its acquisition of Renesas SP Drivers (RSP), a supplier of small- and medium-size display driver ICs for smartphones and tablets.
- Lenovo Group On Thursday said its net profit for the quarter through September rose 19% on growing sales of both personal computers and smartphones.
- Next year's GOP-controlled Senate is expected to come out strongly against President Barack Obama 's most consequential energy and environment policies.
- Germany is home to solar-powered football stadiums and funfairs but the country's renewable energy future still faces obstacles.
- Could social media have predicted the failure of 3D TVs and its successor 4K?
- 5 Nov 2014:
- Advantest introduces newest parametric measurement module to extend SoC testing capabilities of T2000 platform
- Knowles Corporation Taiwan celebrates its 40th anniversary
- Indium Corporation expands Malaysia technical support, adds team members
- EverFocus announces the release of EMV401/801/1601 hybrid mobile DVR
- Tatung announces commercial availability of standards-based module for EV charging
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- GamerGate block list sees game devs, journalists and fried chicken vendors banded as online harassers
- Will Xiaomi be a target for Foxconn's new collaboration with Innolux?
- Digitimes Research: China makers Bitland, BYD to join Chromebook supply chain in 2015
- Digitimes Research: Samsung, white-box players looking to take over 10-15 million feature phone demand from Microsoft Mobile
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo, Asustek to launch US$149 Chromebook
With the global LED lighting application market taking off, and business opportunities emerging fast,...
NOR flash memory supplier Macronix International is looking to expand its presence in the automotive...
Despite years of enthusiasm for wireless charging technology, the market for wireless charging applications...
Laser printers have been dominating the business-use segment. But Seiko Epson has launched a bid to...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...