- 28 Jul 2016:ARM Holdings said second-quarter revenue rose to $387.6 million, an increase of 9% from the same period in 2015, while profit climbed 17% to 90 million pounds ($118 million).
- LG Innotek said July 28 that it would invest US$230 million by 2018 to build a camera module factory in Haiphong, the third largest city of Vietnam.
- Shares surged on Thursday after the Japanese electronics manufacturer reported better than expected first quarter profits - albeit it a reading which showed a 70 per cent slide year-on-year.
- Acer is getting ready to release an new Chromebook, Acer CB5-312T with MediaTek MT8173 inside.
- South Korean tech giant Samsung Electronics said on Thursday it expects solid earnings to continue in the second half of 2016, with stronger components demand likely offsetting heightened margin pressures for smartphones.
- 26 Jul 2016:Tsinghua Unigroup Chairman Zhao Weiguo will be president of a new holding company for XMC called Yangtze River Storage Technology Co., people familiar with the matter said. Tsinghua Unigroup will own more than 50% of Yangtze River Storage, with other stakes held by the national chip fund and a fund backed by the Wuhan city government, they said.
- IBM has announced that, in collaboration with foundry-giant Samsung, it is using a spin-transfer torque (STT) design on its MRAM.
- An acquirer from China or Intel Corp., which has a joint venture with Micron, would be the most likely buyers, analysts said.
- At Computex last month, Asustek showed Transformer 3, which resembles Microsoft's Surface Pro tablet and runs on Kaby Lake.
- 25 Jul 2016:The Wi-Fi Alliance industry group is now certifying products that can deliver multi-gigabit speeds and improve coverage in dense networks by delivering data to multiple devices simultaneously.
- The deal includes Yahoo real estate assets, while some intellectual property is to be sold separately.
- 22 Jul 2016:
- It won't be just Apple that might be interested in making a counter-offer. Google, whose Android smartphones are based on ARM, Samsung and TSMC could all benefit from an acquisition of the UK firm.
- Gamers in Japan, home of Nintendo's Pokemon, are still impatiently awaiting the launch of the smash-hit Pokemon GO game but the government is already preparing for an invasion of little cartoon monsters, issuing a safety warning.
- 21 Jul 2016:
- Son also briefly mentioned during the Japanese press conference that as soon as SoftBank announced the ARM acquisition deal, Son received a call from Alibaba's Jack Ma. "He was very enthusiastic. He told me that he is really interested in driving the China-ARM relationship."
- After 17 months of investigation, the Fair Trade Commission of South Korea is set to fine Qualcomm up to KRW1 trillion (US$900 million) for abusing its patents.
- Qualcomm's second-quarter results show the chipmaker is overcoming hurdles in China, while rival Intel faces fresh headwinds in servers -- the key to its profit.
- Toshiba is planning to start the manufacturing of the world's first 64-layer 3D NAND flash memory chips in the third quarter of 2016 with Samsung Electronics being expected to release the same type of products in the following quarter.
- Although based in Japan, Softbank is very much a Chinese company.
- 20 Jul 2016:
- 19 Jul 2016:
- ARM founder Hermann Hauser said the result of the Softbank deal meant the "determination of what comes next for technology will not be decided in Britain any more, but in Japan".
- 18 Jul 2016:It's buying an established titan that's well-placed for the Internet of things.
- KLA-Tencor intros comprehensive wafer inspection and review portfolio for leading IC technologies (Jul 11) - Company releaseKLA-Tencor has introduced six advanced wafer defect inspection and review systems for leading-edge IC device manufacturing.
- Applied Materials next-generation e-beam inspection system provides industry's highest resolution (Jul 11) - Company releaseApplied Materials has announced its next-generation e-beam inspection system is delivering the highest resolution and image quality at the fastest throughput to leading foundry, logic, DRAM and 3D NAND customers as they move to advanced nodes.
- Digitimes Research: Panasonic expected to remain largest automotive Li battery maker, steps into LED automotive lighting
- Digitimes Research: Global tablet shipments to up over 16% on quarter in 3Q16
- Digitimes Research: Japan IT vendors stepping into IoT business
- Digitimes Research: China mobile AP shipments increase 8% in 2Q16
- Innodisk launches power over Ethernet expansion cards suitable for industrial systems
- NEXCOM's full depiction of Cloud-Infused Industry 4.0 at 2016 Taipei Int'l Industrial Automation Exhibition
- International workplace partners with IFSEC Southeast Asia 2016 to deliver dedicated health and safety conference
- Industrial display leader Litemax to showcase world's first resized 4K2K LCDs at InnoTrans
- Rectron is now Avexir official distributor in region of Australia
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Corning in late July released its latest cover glass, Gorilla Glass 5, to provide better protection...
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...