- 18 Sep 2015:Qualcomm is slashing more than 1,300 full-time jobs in San Diego and has cut hundreds more in other states.
- 17 Sep 2015:CEC is discussing a bid for Atmel, a maker of chips used in industrial machinery and cars, at about US$8.50 a share and the two sides are negotiating, people with knowledge of the process said.
- Freescale Semiconductor has announced the acquisition of CogniVue, an image cognition IP developer based in Ottawa, Canada.
- Marvell Technology plunged the sharpest in almost 13 years, after disclosing an internal investigation of its accounting and reporting weakening demand for personal computer parts.
- A China Railway Group-led consortium and XpressWest Enterprises LLC will form a joint venture to build a high-speed railway linking Las Vegas and Los Angeles, the first Chinese-made bullet-train project in the US.
- 16 Sep 2015:Industry sources predicted that both Samsung and TSMC would mass produce the Pascal GPU, but the US firm chose only the Taiwanese firm in the end.
- Imagination Technologies, the British company that supplies graphics technology to Apple, forecast a surprise loss for its first half after the semiconductor market turned weaker in the June quarter.
- The White House's energy plan likely won't impact natural gas, but clean energy stocks may benefit.
- Green energy cuts "may deter investment in nuclear and fracking" (Sep 16) - telegraph.com.uk (USE Daily Telegraph (UK))Conservative cuts to wind and solar energy lack "any rationale or clear intent", EY warns as UK slips down investor rankings
- From November 1st, though, NASA is going to leverage the huge leap in video resolution introduced by the arrival of 4K UHD technology to share its exploration of the final frontier with the whole of North America via a new UHD TV channel.
- In fact, Apple has created a whole new dedicated ?˜tvOS' interface. Aesthetically this doesn't look radically different to the interface of the old Apple TV, but under the hood there are a few key innovations.
- Sony Electronics is bringing High Dynamic Range (HDR) support to more of its 4K Ultra HD televisions.
- 15 Sep 2015:A strategic tie-up with Hon Hai could help SPIL land some Apple business.
- GlobalFoundries offers voluntary buyouts to trim workforce at Fab 8, former IBM sites (Sep 10) - Times Union BlogsGlobalFoundries is offering its US workforce a voluntary buyout program to reduce staff at its Fab 8 computer chip fab in Malta and at recently acquired factories in Dutchess County and Vermont.
- Japan's stock exchange ordered Toshiba to pay a record fine of Y91.2m ($750,000) in the wake of a $2bn accounting scandal, marking another reputational blow to the lossmaking nuclear-to-semiconductor conglomerate.
- Long-serving Nintendo executive Tatsumi Kimishima will be appointed president of the firm following the death in July of Satoru Iwata.
- 14 Sep 2015:
- China's decades-long economic boom, based on manufacturing for export, is now going in reverse. With orders in some Chinese manufacturing industries declining, the country is facing factory closures and massive worker layoffs.
- 13 Sep 2015:The departure is the latest shakeup at Yahoo, which has come under increasing scrutiny from investors. Savitt was an early appointment by CEO Marissa Mayer and also oversaw Yahoo's push into original content.
- Growth in China's investment and factory output in August has come in below forecasts, in a further indication that the world's second-largest economy is losing steam.
- Intel has invested more than $60 million in Chinese drone maker Yuneec Holding, the clearest indication yet of the opportunity that Intel and fellow chip makers see in the nascent commercial drone space.
- 11 Sep 2015:
- 10 Sep 2015:Samsung Electronics has lost about 15% of its market value this year as its new flagship Galaxy S6 failed to impress and the founding Lee family was seen solidifying its control over Samsung Group's crown jewel, raising corporate governance concerns.
- As the markets are recovering from the incredible volatility in August, stocks that were hit hard during this dip included those in alternative energy. However, one key analyst sees a buying opportunity for this segment. A new Oppenheimer report details where the firm thinks these companies are and what direction they stand to go.
- LitePoint integrates flexible PA/FEM testing in one chassis
- 'Smart IoT Testing for Wireless Future' – An enlightenment on IoT testing technologies, innovative applications, and new thinking
- Thunder: Custom and Big Data analysis layout solution
- IoT of tomorrow can change mankind
- Advantest joins with Malaysian OSAT Fabtronic and government group to establish first shared-services lab in Southeast Asia
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
- Digitimes Research: Shrinking tablet market prompts China touch panel supply chain to look for growth elsewhere
- Digitimes Research: Apple to push forward with In-Cell touch technology in 2015 but highly considering G/G for 2016
- Digitimes Research: Tsinghua Unigroup acquisition of Micron faces difficulties, but is a must for China for further development
- Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to push inexpensive mobile device market with Microsoft and Allwinner solutions
Notebook vendor Acer aims to ship at least five million smartphones in 2015 and plans to hike the shipments...
The acquisition of Freescale by NXP Semiconductors will make NXP the world's second largest MCU supplier...
Competition in the graphics card market has grown fierce as demand for graphics cards from the gaming...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...