- 1 Nov 2016:Shares of touch-sensor technology maker Synaptics are down $13.93, or 21%, at $53.77, after the company yesterday afternoon reported fiscal Q1 revenue and profit that topped analysts' expectations, and also projected revenue this quarter above consensus, but missed with its gross profit result and forecast lower profit this quarter as well.
- Worldwide smartphone shipments up 1% in 3Q16 despite Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall, says IDC (Oct 26) - IDCDespite the recall of Samsung's Galaxy Note 7, volumes were up 1.0% compared to 3Q15 when vendors shipped 359.3 million units.
- The fund will have a size of about KRW200 billion (US$175.4 million), of which KRW50 billion will be financed by Samsung Electronics and KRW25 billion by SK Hynix.
- Toshiba raised its forecast for first-half operating profit by 36% to JPY95 billion (US$906 million), crediting growth in memory chips and hard disk drives, as well as cost-cutting measures.
- Sony and Panasonic, the Japanese electronics makers, have warned that profits would be hit by lower export income owing to the stronger yen and the retreat from lossmaking businesses.
- Samsung Electronics said strength in its semiconductor business offset the impact to its mobile phone business caused by exploding batteries in its flagship Galaxy Note 7 products.
- 28 Oct 2016:Texas Instruments said profit shot up 21% in the latest quarter as continued strong demand in the automotive and industrial sectors helped the chip maker report results just above its forecast.
- The three new iPhone models to be launched next year are likely to sport glass backs supplied by China's Biel Crystal Manufactory and Lens Technology, an industry source told the Nikkei Asian Review.
- 27 Oct 2016:Senior Samsung official arrested for trying to sell company secrets to Chinese competitors (Sep 22) - SamMobileIt includes confidential information about Samsung's 14nm and 10nm fabrication processes.
- 26 Oct 2016:
- Austrian sensor chip maker AMS has warned of a setback with one of its customers which could hit revenues and force a writedown in its accounts, sending its Swiss-listed shares down by as much as 23% on Tuesday.
- In a surprise move on Monday, the German authorities withdrew approval for the takeover of a domestic semiconductor firm by a Chinese bidder, a deal that was set to be an emblem of a new push by Chinese companies to acquire cutting-edge technology businesses and a sign of Berlin's tolerance for such moves.
- 24 Oct 2016:Japan's Sharp will become the main supplier of LCD panels to Universal Media, the Slovak manufacturer licensed to sell Sharp-brand televisions in Europe, The Nikkei learned Thursday.
- 21 Oct 2016:
- Qualcomm is willing to offer 75 percent cash and 25 percent stock, while NXP reportedly prefers an all-cash offer.
- iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm LTE modem outperforms Intel LTE modem by significant margin (Oct 20) - Mac RumorsWith the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, Apple elected to use LTE modems from two different sources, Qualcomm and Intel. The A1778 and A1784 iPhone models use a GSM-only Intel XMM7360 modem while the A1660 and 1661 iPhone models use a GSM/CDMA-compatible Qualcomm MDM9645M modem.
- 20 Oct 2016:At an event in San Francisco, LeEco said it would begin selling smartphones and smart TVs in the US on Nov. 2. But Chief Executive Jia Yeuting said in an interview that only 100,000 phones would initially be available, and that he didn't know how many smart TVs will be available by the launch date.
- Total loss at Mubadala's technology companies, mainly made up of semiconductor manufacturer Globalfoundries, deepened from Dh2.9bn in the first half of 2015 to Dh4.9bn in the first half of this year.
- Foxconn to enter chip market, partner with ARM on design center in Shenzhen (Oct 20) - Nikkei Electronics AsiaKey iPhone assembler Hon Hai Precision Industry, also known as Foxconn Technology Group, is trying to expand its foothold in the semiconductor industry by partnering with SoftBank Group-owned ARM to create a chip design center in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, according to people familiar with the matter.
- Since Samsung recently announced the demise of the Note 7, some market watchers have speculated that the decision on production suspension is a prelude to the demise of the entire Note brand.
- 19 Oct 2016:Laird said production growth for mobile devices this year had fallen, making it difficult to predict demand.
- A chat with Meizu's VP of sales and marketing, Li Nan, revealed that the manufacturer encountered problems with the chipset and 4G network compatibility. It seems something about the chip's integrated modem has troubled Meizu, hence the company doesn't want to risk developing a potentially faulty device.
- Europe needs to wake up to the fact that its best technology companies are being snapped up by overseas buyers at a rapid rate, and to decide whether its laissez-faire approach to these strategic takeovers is sensible.
- 18 Oct 2016:Qualcomm is promising to launch its first 5G modem in 2018, even though basic standards for 5G have yet to be established, nor even which part of the radio spectrum it will use.
- Xiaomi's Meri processor, if real, is most likely to compete in the low to mid-range mobile market rather than but head with high-end processors.
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan top foundries to enjoy particularly strong 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan server revenues may reach NT$600 billion in 2017
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Display dominance in AMOLED to face challenge from China makers beginning 2019
- Digitimes Research: China mobile AP shipments to rise 11.6% in 4Q16
- PALWONN/ABONTOUCH's AbonMax series touch panel took challenges against Microsoft Surface Hub and Google Jamboard
- Join CAYIN at InfoComm MEA 2016 to discover the next-gen digital signage
- Clientron to introduce new 12" all-in-one POS Bello620
- Tatung builds highly energy-efficient commercial air conditioning systems with air-cooled and parallel chiller units
- Advantest will present product exhibits, live demonstrations and a technical paper at SEMICON Japan, December 14-16 in Tokyo
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
To help foster the development of related wireless charging technology in Taiwan, the Wireless Power...
Silicon Valley based Anaplan, a cloud-based planning and performance management platform provider,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...