- 30 Apr 2013:The European Commission (EC) has begun a countervailing duty (CVD) investigation into imports of glass from China used in solar manufacturing, based on a trade complaint filed by trade group EU ProSun Glass.
- 29 Apr 2013:China-based LDK Solar said on April 26 that it sold 25 million newly issued shares to Fulai Investments Ltd., a company owned by Cheng Kin Ming, a Chinese businessman based in Hong Kong, for US$25.8 million.
- To spur the national solar market, France's environment and energy agency recommends installing more than ten GW of new capacity over the next six years.
- Japan-based Kyocera plans to sell 25% more solar panels as an incentive program for clean energy boosts demand in Japan, which is projected to become the second-largest market in the world this year.
- Global energy major Total sees prospects in Qatar's solar energy initiative as the country has set a target to meet 16% of its production from renewable energy by 2018, a senior company executive has said.
- 26 Apr 2013:
- Researchers believe they have come up with a new type of LED-powered streetlamp that could radically reduce light pollution.
- Although smartphone sales are still climbing Qualcomm is now facing fiercer competition from other chip makers, including Intel, which has been redesigning its microprocessors in an attempt to grab a bigger piece of the mobile computing market.
- The government of southern Indian state Andhra Pradesh has announced a solar feed-in-tariff (FIT) of INR6.49/kWh (US$0.12/kWh) for its tender of 1GW, according to energy consultants RESolve. Solar developers are said to be disappointed with the rate.
- Motorola Mobility China laying off 800 employees, closing one of last three R$D centers (April 24) - IBTimesMotorola's Mobility Unit in China has confirmed a plan to lay off 800 employees after two months of silence, according to Tencent. The company will make three rounds of cuts at the end of May, July and September.
- For the first time, the company that makes more than half the world's mobile DRAM chips may buy them from SK Hynix, said Shin Jong Kyun, head of Samsung's mobile business.
- 25 Apr 2013:
- The "smelling screen", invented by Haruka Matsukura at Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology in Japan and colleagues, makes smells appear to come from the exact spot on any LCD screen that is displaying the image of a cup of coffee, for example.
- The idea behind the iOptik, is that the contact focuses foreground light, like that from a nearby monitor, onto the center of the pupil.
- LCD panel makers in Taiwan, Japan and Korea have been suffering. Despite the growing demand for LCDs the high number of panel makers and new competition from China has resulted in tough price competition for panel makers, to the point that many panel makers are no longer profitable.
- Apple job listing confirms Apple is investigating using flexible displays in future products (April 10) - 9to5Mac.comWe know that Apple has been investigating various methods of incorporating flexible displays in its mobile devices thanks to a handful of patents and patent applications published over the last year.
- So what makes liquid crystals so ideal for the displays in everything from digital watches to tablet computers?
- 24 Apr 2013:David Falvo, an ex-IT worker who resides in Fulton County, accuses Globalfoundries of violating US and New York labor laws in a range of ways.
- ARM jumped the most in more than four years after reporting sales that beat estimates as demand increased for its graphics and processing technology.
- Greece added 793MW of solar projects in the first quarter of 2013, according to national electricity market operator (LAGIE). In March alone, 259MW of new solar capacity was installed.
- Finnish phone maker Nokia has won a court injunction banning HTC from using microphone parts made by STMicroelectronics in its flagship HTC One phones, in a move that will deepen the problems at the struggling Taiwanese handset company.
- 23 Apr 2013:LCD panels are typically composed of two sheets of polarized material with a liquid crystal solution between them, so when an electric current passes through the liquid, it causes the crystals to align so that light can (or can't) pass through.
- As you read this, retailers are putting Sony model W009A BRAVIA TV sets on shelves around the USA. We'll be seeing quantum dots in LCD before OLED for sure. It didn't look that way a few years back, so I thought it would be interesting to bring us all up-to-date on the industrial and commercial development of quantum dot (QD) technology for display applications.
- Any Mobile Device Can Display Glasses-Free 3-D Images With This Novel Plastic Film (April 3) - IEEE SpectrumGlasses-free 3D imaging on mobile devices is nothing new; the Nintendo 3DS has been around since 2010 impressing users with its 3D graphics sans spectacles. Since that breakthrough, ensuing generations have seen incremental improvements.
- Born in 1940, computer scientist Alan Curtis Kay is one of a handful of visionaries most responsible for the concepts which have propelled personal computing forward over the past thirty years - and surely the most quotable one.
- Digitimes Research: Rising mobile device demand drives TSMC, UMC wafer shipment growth in 2Q13
- Digitimes Research: Battery technologies regain focus as energy storage demand rises
- Digitimes Research: LED light bulb prices in Japan fall in April
- Digitimes Research: Sapphire 2-inch substrate prices to be around US$8/unit in 2013
- DIGIEVER partnership with EverFocus for better professional network surveillance solutions
- Advantech Introduces New 18" and 21" Widescreen Multitouch Panel PCs
- Digital Network Fuels Opportunities in Vehicle Surveillance Market
- Advantech Redefines Entry Level Network Application Platforms
- WD shipping world's first 5 mm 2.5-inch hard drive
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- ATO Solution Co., Ltd. to launch 1Gb SLC NAND Flash after 256Mb/512Mb mass production for the first time in Fab-less industry
- Chilisin's miniature power inductor in 0603/0805 sizes
- Chilisin introduces Thin-film chip inductor 0201 size
- Chilisin at 2012 electronics Munich A5/159 & 260
- Chilisin sunken-type molded power inductor for MXM Graphic application
Digitimes recently interviewed Bert Gyselinckx, general manager of the Holst Centre in Eindhoven, to...
Chaintech, a motherboard/graphics card maker, which quit the market once and returned recently, has...
Digitimes recently spoke with Karen Lightman, the executive director of MEMS Industry Group (MIG),...
In a relentless competition against rivals including Qualcomm, Nvidia and Media in the smartphone chipset...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...