- 29 Mar 2015:Intel is in advanced talks to buy chip partner Altera, according to people familiar with the matter, a move that would represent the semiconductor giant's biggest-ever acquisition.
- 27 Mar 2015:The recently refreshed 2015 MacBook Air can drive 4K external displays at a refresh rate of 60Hz.
- Despite finally jumping into the OLED market with the Apple Watch, Apple is not expected to migrate its handset line away from LCD technology in the near future.
- 26 Mar 2015:RBC Capital Markets chip analyst Doug Freedman this morning writes that chip maker Nvidia, which makes no parts itself, appears to have moved some of its orders for making its chips from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSMC) to Samsung Electronics, and that this may presage giving some foundry business to Intel.
- 25 Mar 2015:TSMC will snatch more orders for Apple's A9 processor at the expense of Samsung, which is having yield problems with its most advanced technology node, according to sources interviewed by EE Times.
- 24 Mar 2015:Companies to issue US$30 billion in "green bonds" this year, S&P reports (mar 23) - International Bussiness TimesElectric utilities, real estate firms and other companies could issue a record $30 billion in "green bonds" this year, Standard & Poor's Rating Services said Monday.
- Costa Rica is running without having to burn a single fossil fuel, and it's been doing so for 75 straight days.
- The future is bright on the streets of New York. For Jolanta Benal and her neighbors in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn, it is far too bright.
- Xiaomi all set to launch the most affordable 4K smart TV you can't easily purchase (Mar 23) - Beta NewsXiaomi reportedly plans to launch two models in its Mi TV lineup -- one of which will be the successor to 49-inch 4K capable Mi TV 2, while the other will be a smaller-sized television set with FHD display.
- Taiwanese electronics maker looking at partnership possibilities with Japanese company Sharp.
- 23 Mar 2015:
- Quantum Materials says it has broken the Stokes-shift barrier that limits the performance of quantum dots (QDs) for displays, and is able to produce "strong-shift" QDs to consistent characteristics in high volumes.
- QD Vision's John Ho holds a tube of the finished polymerized quantum dot material that promises to revolutionize the way we see televised color.
- 20 Mar 2015:Obama administration wants more renewable energy, tighter pollution controls on public lands (Mar 17) - Washington PostThe Obama administration will seek tougher standards for companies extracting oil, gas and coal on taxpayer-owned land during its remaining months in office, even as it pushes for expanded solar and wind projects, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said Tuesday.
- At its recent annual trade preview held at Mercedes-Benz World in Surrey, the company declared it was revving up OLED panel production and spread-betting on 4K across the board.
- Universal Display currently has a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold) while its Earnings ESP is 0.00%.
- According to LG Chem , OLED is the best artificial lighting format in existence today - but before embracing it, the market is going to need a lot of persuasion.
- Gianfranco Lanci has been named corporate president of Lenovo effective April 1.
- 18 Mar 2015:
- TI makes battery-less IoT connectivity possible with the industry's first multi-standard wireless microcontroller platform (Feb 25) - Company releaseTexas Instruments (TI) has announced the new SimpleLink ultra-low power wireless microcontroller (MCU) platform that helps customers go battery-less with energy harvesting or enjoy always-on, coin cell-powered operation for multiple years.
- TSMC has been working hard on the next step, the 10nm node. Its management has said that 10nm would begin to make money late 2016.
- 17 Mar 2015:China overtook Germany, France and the UK in exporting weapons between 2010 and 2014, said the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
- Hundreds being laid off as Cypress and Spansion merge in $5B deal, internal memo shows (Mar 12) - San Jose Business JournalThe memo sent to employees by Cypress founder and CEO TJ Rodgers on Wednesday shows plans to lay off about 1,600 workers worldwide with severances over the next three weeks, equally split between the two companies, with all North American employees being notified of their status by Friday.
- To meet the planet's growing energy needs, scientists are casting their eyes towards plants, which long ago perfected the process of capturing the sun's rays - light energy - and transforming that into starch - chemical energy - that can be stored.
- Seagate and EverFocus safeguards 400 Taiwanese brand optical shops in Taiwan
- G.SKILL announces world's fastest 128GB 2800MHz DDR4 memory kit with Samsung 8Gb ICs
- Dahua and Seagate to pair up for Secutech 2015
- Seagate and QNAP to demonstrate a complete surveillance solution at Secutech Taipei 2015
- Posiflex wins Red Dot Award: Product design 2015
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Is Japan losing its influence in global semiconductor market?, asks IC Insights
- Digitimes Research: Philips makes wise move selling Lumileds stake
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo smartphone shipments reach only 8-9 million units in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments drop over 30% sequentially in 1Q15 as small regional vendors suffer
Taiwan-based crystalline silicon solar cell makers have been impacted by the US imposing an average...
The IC backend service industry was capped by a flurry of merger and acquisition (M&A) activities...
Macronix International, which ranks as the world's second-largest NOR flash supplier with a 19% share...
The applications, demand and service areas for the global storage device industry have seen profound...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...