- 24 Nov 2016:Japan Display Inc is in advanced talks to receive a bailout amount of about 75 billion yen ($704.49 million) from Innovation Network Corp of Japan (INCJ), a government-backed fund and the display maker's largest shareholder, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
- 21 Nov 2016:For the second time in a little more than a year, the secretive US agency that vets global deals on national-security grounds is objecting to a Chinese takeover of a European company.
- 2 Nov 2016:The all-American iPhone may remain somewhat of a fantasy for now, but at least a few more of its internal chips could end up being manufactured on home turf.
- 19 Oct 2016:Europe needs to wake up to the fact that its best technology companies are being snapped up by overseas buyers at a rapid rate, and to decide whether its laissez-faire approach to these strategic takeovers is sensible.
- 14 Oct 2016:
- 12 Sep 2016:Chipmakers plan to significantly expand capacity in China, with total investment expected to reach US$50 billion in the next five years, more than double what they spent during the preceding five years, according to a Nikkei survey.
- 2 Aug 2016:Japan's cabinet has approved an economic stimulus package worth more than JPY28 trillion (US$275bn).
- 13 Aug 2015:As China ties fester, senator calls for US to block bid for American chipmaker (Aug 12) - Wall Street JournalChina's efforts to expand its reach into advanced semiconductors in the US drew fire on Capitol Hill as a key senator called on US officials to block a state-controlled firm's effort to buy an American memory chipmaker.
- 12 Aug 2015:"To catch up with Qualcomm as soon as possible, we will pour 30 billion yuan, and probably even more, into the R&D of mobile chips in the next few years," Chairman Xu Jinghong was quoted as saying in an interview. A Tsinghua Holdings spokeswoman confirmed Xu's comments to the newspaper.
- 7 Aug 2015:Leadcore Technology and Shanghai Pudong Science & Technology Investment are weighing offers for Marvell Technology's wireless chip unit, which Marvell values at about $1 billion.
- 15 Jul 2015:Sales of PCs that used Micron's memory chips dropped faster than the company expected in 2015 triggering a 50% stock plunge. That drop helped set the stage for Micron, which is known for buying other companies' chip operations, to become a target.
- 29 Mar 2015:Integrated Silicon Solution (ISSI) and a Chinese consortium of investors led by Summitview Capital have entered into a definitive merger agreement under which the consortium will acquire all of the outstanding shares of ISSI for US$19.25 per share in cash. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of 2015.
- 19 Dec 2014:China is planning to purge foreign technology and replace with homegrown suppliers (Dec 18) - BloombergChina is aiming to purge most foreign technology from banks, the military, state-owned enterprises and key government agencies by 2020, stepping up efforts to shift to Chinese suppliers, according to people familiar with the effort.
- 25 Jun 2013:Subsidy limit of EUR6.7 billion (US$8.7 billion) has been passed triggering a halt to future feed-in-tariff (FIT) payments from a point one month after the limit was reached in Italy.
- 23 Apr 2013:
- India has filed a complaint to the World Trade Organization's dispute settlement body, saying that the US is offering subsidy programs in the solar industry for local content requirements.
- 16 Apr 2013:German state bank KfW says it is ready to start support of storage systems for solar PV systems in early May.
- 3 Apr 2013:The Japan government has approved a cut to the FIT for solar by 10%. The cut would see the tariff paid be reduced to JPY37.8/kWh (US$0.40/kWh) from the current rate of JPY42/kWh (US$0.45/kWh), as of April 1.
- 28 Mar 2013:Samsung Semiconductor is moving swiftly to begin work on a new 680,000-square-foot office project that will be built on its existing 215,000-square-foot office complex at North First Street and West Tasman Drive.
- 25 Mar 2013:"There will be no cuts in the EEG for existing installations," were the words of German Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) as she started to lead the discussion over electricity prices.
- 19 Mar 2013:China, forecast to become the largest solar-power market this year, may abolish subsidy programs for some of its largest projects and target the money instead to smaller ones, an industry official said.
- 20 Feb 2013:Romania will "certainly" reduce incentives for solar power generation from 2014 to avoid overcompensation, according to Zoltan Nagy-Bege, a board member at the country's energy regulator, also known as ANRE.
- 7 Feb 2013:
- 4 Jan 2013:
- 20 Dec 2012:
- 13 Dec 2012:Contract chipmaker Globalfoundries chief executive Ajit Manocha said European governments should do more to encourage chip manufacturers to set-up shop in the region, rather than going to Asia where they receive large subsidies.
- 15 Nov 2012:
- 25 Sep 2012:A tiny solar company named SoloPower will flip the switch on production at a US.= factory Thursday, a major step toward allowing it to tap a US$197 million government loan guarantee awarded under the same controversial program that supported failed panel maker Solyndra.
- 14 Sep 2012:The US central bank has moved to kick-start economic recovery by restarting its policy of pumping money into the economy via quantitative easing.
- 14 May 2012:The German Federal Council has determined that that the bill earlier adopted by the German Parliament for the reduction of solar subsidies will be going a the mediation committee, which will allow for the federal and state governments to negotiate finding a comprise.
- 13 Apr 2012:Italy is to cut the tariff it pays to solar energy installations by 35% on average, according to decrees approved by the industry and environment ministries.
- Italy will scale back financial incentives for solar and other renewable energy that have inflated consumer power bills more than expected, and also will raise national renewable energy targets for 2020, two ministers said on Wednesday.
- 27 Mar 2012:
- 5 Mar 2012:SMA Solar, Germany's top solar company, forecast sales and operating margins will fall significantly in 2012, blaming the German government's March 9 decision to slash state-mandated incentives for photovoltaic electricity.
- Germany, the world's biggest solar- power market, may delay a plan to cut subsidies in the industry by at least three weeks to allow developers to complete projects, a lawmaker said.
- 24 Feb 2012:Germany, the world's biggest market for solar power, plans record reductions in subsidies for the industry as part of a program to rein in a boom in installations.
- 10 Feb 2012:
- 6 Feb 2012:In September alone, some 16,000 households had solar panels installed - twice as many as in June - as everyone from farmers to vicars to Mick Jagger (plus thousands of other canny home owners with £12,000 to spare) scrambled to take advantage of generous government subsidies.
- 2 Feb 2012:Fears Germany will cap or cut green energy subsidies is boosting demand for solar panels, and uncertainty about the shape of the measures could give the country's battered solar sector an advantage against Chinese rivals.
- 30 Jan 2012:
- Clientron to present its POS Solution at EuroShop 2017
- Entegris announces higher-purity gas purification system platform with expanded manufacturing in Asia
- Spirox resolved to propose termination of exclusive distributor agreement with Xcerra Corporation
- Litemax 7 products received the 25th Taiwan Excellence Award
- Advantest Will Showcase Products, Demonstrations and a Technical Paper at SEMICON Korea, February 8-10 in Seoul
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
Gary Patton, a 30-year veteran in the semiconductor industry, joined Globalfoundries as CTO in July...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...