- 5 Sep 2013:Panasonic has confirmed it is to stop selling smartphones in its home market Japan. It said it would also begin outsourcing production of handsets sold to other countries such as India.
- 29 Apr 2013:Japan-based Kyocera plans to sell 25% more solar panels as an incentive program for clean energy boosts demand in Japan, which is projected to become the second-largest market in the world this year.
- 9 Apr 2013:
- 3 Apr 2013:The Japan government has approved a cut to the FIT for solar by 10%. The cut would see the tariff paid be reduced to JPY37.8/kWh (US$0.40/kWh) from the current rate of JPY42/kWh (US$0.45/kWh), as of April 1.
- 27 Mar 2013:Panasonic said its solar panel operation will probably remain profitable amid growing demand from domestic homeowners.
- 13 Mar 2013:The Japan solar market has significantly changed since the introduction of feed-in-tariffs (FITs) last July. With domestic demand growing faster than expected, Japan's government has proposed a FIT reduction of around 10%.
- 5 Mar 2013:
- 20 Feb 2013:
- 30 Jan 2013:
- 9 Jan 2013:
- 5 Dec 2012:
- 18 Jun 2012:
- 14 May 2012:Canadian Solar Inc., the world's fifth-largest maker of solar modules, plans to build a plant in Japan as soon as fiscal 2013 to become the first foreign company to produce solar panels here, company sources said.
- 28 Oct 2011:Nintendo predicts first annual loss in 30 years on yen, 3DS (October 27) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Nintendo has forecast its first annual loss in at least 30 years after the yen reached a postwar high and the new 3DS console had weaker-than-expected sales.
- 14 Sep 2011:NTT DoCoMo will partner with several Japanese hardware makers and Korean manufacturer Samsung Electronics to develop core chips for use in future smartphones, Japan's biggest business newspaper reported Monday.
- 24 Aug 2011:The latest beta of iOS 5 features an earthquake warning system for Japanese iPhone users. The feature constantly checks in with Japan's early warning system, which consists of over 1000 seismographs scattered throughout the country.
- 28 Apr 2011:"Nintendo 3DS has not been selling as expected since the second week [of availability], and this is not just in the Japanese market but also in the US and Europe, where no direct impact from the great earthquake has occurred," said Nintendo president Satoru Iwata.
- 28 Sep 2010:
- 13 Jul 2010:Engine control units made by Hitachi couldn't be delivered on time to Nissan because ICs needed to make them were not available from a supplier, Hitachi said.
- 6 Jul 2010:
- 17 May 2010:
- 11 Mar 2010:Sony plans to launch new 3D television sets in Japan from 10 June. A 46-inch 3D screen will cost around 350,000 yen (US$3,898), 52% more expensive than a regular Sony flatscreen television.
- 4 Mar 2010:Corning has announced that its Gorilla glass was selected as the protective cover glass for the docomo Prime series N-02B by NEC. NEC, a mobile phone leader in the Japanese market, is offering this touch phone with a 3.2-inch display.
- 2 Mar 2010:Japan-based Mitsubishi Electric has announced it plans to almost triple production of solar cells in two years to meet demand for renewable energy. The company last month finished construction of a 24,000 square meter (258,000 square feet) plant in northern Japan that may begin operating this fall.
- 23 Feb 2010:According to a report by Asahi.com, Toshiba is developing a new technology that can turn cell phones into virtual secretaries. Like many of Japan's mobile-related technologies, this will probably be available only in its home country initially.
- 12 Feb 2010:
- 19 Aug 2009:
- 14 Aug 2009:
- 31 Jul 2009:
- 22 Jun 2009:
- 18 Jun 2009:The Bank of Japan (BOJ) has said the Japanese economy has begun to stop deteriorating, but it has still kept interest rates unchanged at 0.1%.
- 15 Jun 2009:
- 10 Jun 2009:Japan's core machinery orders, a closely watched indicator of the health of the economy, fell by 5.4% in April.
- 30 Apr 2009:
- 29 Apr 2009:
- Bowing to what has long appeared inevitable, Japan lowered its growth forecast on Monday, projecting a 3.3% contraction for the fiscal year that began April 1.
- 13 Apr 2009:The Japanese government will lift punitive tariffs on computer chips South Korea's Hynix Semiconductor makes, leading to a settlement of a three-year-old trade dispute between the two countries, Kyodo News reported Monday, citing Finance Ministry officials.
- 10 Apr 2009:Japan's subsidies for home solar panels have attracted far fewer applicants than planned, industry data showed on Wednesday, underscoring the likelihood of bold government steps to promote solar power.
- 1 Apr 2009:Japan's unemployment rate has risen to a three-year high as companies continue to slash jobs.
- 3 Mar 2009:Stupid, wasteful and ineffective ¡X and a shameless attempt to woo voters, many Japanese say. Prime Minister Taro Aso is touting a one-time cash handout of 12,000 yen, or about $120 per person, as the centerpiece of a stimulus package to revive the world's second-largest economy, mired in one of its worst slumps since World War II. Elsewhere in Asia, Taiwan has given out about $100 per person in spending vouchers.
- Three new GKB SDI cameras to strengthen HD-SDI portfolio
- Software AG releases Intelligent Business Operations to handle next generation smart data applications
- Apotop i-Selfie brings you an innovative wireless Selfie snapshot experience
- ECS announces the whole new AMD FM2+ Platform motherboards
- EverFocus ENVR8304E wins Secutech Excellence Award 2014
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Windows tablets gaining traction in Japan
- Digitimes Research: ITO film price drop to slow metal mesh penetration in mid-size touch applications
- Digitimes Research: LED bulb prices in China fall in March
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan ODMs losing out as PC brand vendors turn to China supply chain for tablets
- Digitimes Research: Over 50% white-box tablets to come with phone functions in 2H14; MediaTek to benefit most
More and more players have made inroads into the MEMS microphone industry to cash in on the rising...
The security solutions market is an increasingly important market as the IT industry develops and security...
As part of Toshiba, OCZ Storage Solutions is able to leverage Toshiba's NAND and combine it with its...
While Digitimes is known as a media outlet, the company also includes a business unit that solely focuses...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...