Rockchip releases new mobile Internet platform - RK29xx
Press release [Thursday 6 January 2011]
CES 2011, LAS VEGAS, January 6, 2011 - Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Co, Ltd, a leading developer of fabless semiconductors, today released its new RK29xx generation mobile Internet platform.
RK2918 is a high-performance, low-power processor designed for mobile Internet applications. The CPU subsystem is an ARM Cortex-A8 CPU that includes the NEON SIMD engine to improve software media processing capability. With TSMC's advance process, the A8 core can enable up to 1.2GHz.
RK2918 is the world's first SOC to support decoding of the full HD (1080p) VP8 video codec entirely in hardware. It also provides fULL HD decoder and encoder processor, hardware accelerated Adobe Flash Player 10.1, ultra powerful 3D/2D GPU, high speed internet surfing experience and more.
RK2918 now supports Gingerbread (Android2.3) for mobile Internet devices (MIDs), smartphones and Internet TVs, etc. Highlights of the RK29XX include:
- 1.2G ARM Cortex A8 core with Neon and 512KB L2 cache
- High performance 2D and 3D processors support OPENGL ES 2.0 and OPEN VG, Support 60M tri/s max
- 1080p video decoding for H.264, VP8, RV, WMV, AVS, H.263, MPEG4, etc.
- 1080p video encoding for H.264
- Support DDRIII, DDRII, mobile DDR memory
- 24bit HW ECC for MLC NAND, support e-MMC boot
- Three USB ports for device, host, 3G module
- Two SD ports for SD card and WiFi
- Sensors interface for front and rear camera, up to 5M
- Standard TFT/EPD controller for variable panels
- MAX 8 channel I2S and SPDIF output for HD movie
- TS port for mobile and terrestrial TV, ATSC-T/MH, etc
- Ethernet networking interfaces
- Support VoIP
- Support Android 2.3 and future version
Rockchip will highlight MIDs and Internet TVs powered by RK29xx at CES, as well as Rockchip Internet TV solutions, new technique and applications based on the Android OS. Rockchip's booth at CES is 21725//South Hall lower level.
Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Co, Ltd is a China leading fabless semiconductors and mobile-Internet SOC solution provider founded in 2001. Rockchip focuses on the mobile Internet platform with products targeted at mobile Internet terminals (smartphone/MID/Internet TV/e-book reader) and portable multimedia entertainment terminals (MP3/PMP). Rockchip is headquartered in Fuzhou, China, with offices in Shenzhen, Beijing and Shanghai. Website: www.rock-chips.com