- 17 May 2013:Imec and Renesas Electronics have entered into a new strategic research collaboration at Holst Centre. Together, the companies will collaborate to enhance ultra-low power (ULP) wireless technologies for short range communication, targeting sensor networks for automotive and industrial purposes.
- 16 May 2013:The euro slid to its weakest level in more than a month after figures showed that the eurozone economy shrank by more than expected, raising concerns about the health of the single currency bloc.
- MIT tech turns any surface into a user interface, but it's useless without Google Glass (May 2) - ExtremeTechWith Google Glass just around the corner, augmented reality is finally becoming a realistic part of our foreseeable future.
- Diamond Pixels: Galaxy S4's unique subpixel arrangement gets a close up (April 30) - Andorid AuthorityA high-resolution shot of the Galaxy S4's screen reveals the unique subpixel arrangement that Samsung used in order to achieve the 441ppi pixel density on an AMOLED display.
- Miortech introduces color displays that reflect sunlight, just like paper, with environmental benefits such as low power consumption and reduced light pollution overcoming the disadvantages of LED billboards.
- Not every smartphone company has Foxconn building its phones, and one in particular has chosen to do things very differently.
- China has almost completed its investigations into solar-grade polysilicon from the US, the EU and South Korea, but the timing of announcing the preliminary rulings depends on the EU's decision on whether to impose punitive duties on China-made solar panels, experts said.
- 15 May 2013:
- Nokia's position in the smartphone market dropped to No. 10 in the first quarter of 2013, from No. 8 in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- 14 May 2013:Amazon.com Inc said on Monday it had acquired Liquavista NV from Samsung Electronics Co to help the world's largest Internet retailer develop new displays for mobile devices.
- Korea launches touch screen industry forum to help domestic manufacturers grow worldwide (May 8) - The Next WebThe Korean government has established a forum for touch screen manufacturers in the country, aimed at encouraging cooperation and boosting their global businesses. The move is part of the country's wider goal to become the world's second larger touch screen supplier by 2020.
- The latest Amazon smartphone rumour has the yet-to-be-announced phone packing a sophisticated 3D holographic screen. This is a very dumb idea. The last place you want images floating in space is your smartphone.
- A new report from The Korea Times reveals that there will soon be a new kind of smartphone screen from LG, and it may be described simply with one word: unbreakable.
- A Japan-based report indicates that production of at least one key component for the next iPhone will begin next month.
- It's another blow for immersive virtual reality. University of California researchers have shown that even people with perfect eyesight navigate the world by relying on a lot more than what they see. Here's why VR won't really work until we go beyond visual cues and fancy treadmills.
- 13 May 2013:
- As the European Commission gears up to impose average anti-dumping duties of 47% on Chin-based solar imports from June 6, China has called for dialogue to avoid a trade war.
- 10 May 2013:
- The European Commission's (EC) proposed anti-dumping tax on imports of cheap solar panels from China has met with stiff opposition from the European industry body, the Alliance For Affordable Solar Energy (AFASE).
- China resolutely opposes plans by the EU to impose punitive tariffs on imported China-made solar panels and will protect local companies, a spokesman for the Ministry of Commerce said on May 9.
- The EU looks set to join the US in imposing punitive duties on imports of solar panels from China.
- Hyundai Motor, South Korea's largest automaker, plans to install the country's biggest rooftop solar power plant at one of its factories to expand the use of renewable energy and help reduce global warming.
- The European Commission has proposed a tough 47% anti-dumping tariff to penalise the imports, it emerged on May 8.
- 9 May 2013:The Nokia Asha 501 is part of Nokia's budget range of phones, aimed at emerging markets like India and Latin America.
- Digitimes Research: Rising mobile device demand drives TSMC, UMC wafer shipment growth in 2Q13
- Digitimes Research: Battery technologies regain focus as energy storage demand rises
- Digitimes Research: LED light bulb prices in Japan fall in April
- Digitimes Research: Sapphire 2-inch substrate prices to be around US$8/unit in 2013
- DIGIEVER partnership with EverFocus for better professional network surveillance solutions
- Advantech Introduces New 18" and 21" Widescreen Multitouch Panel PCs
- Digital Network Fuels Opportunities in Vehicle Surveillance Market
- Advantech Redefines Entry Level Network Application Platforms
- WD shipping world's first 5 mm 2.5-inch hard drive
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- ATO Solution Co., Ltd. to launch 1Gb SLC NAND Flash after 256Mb/512Mb mass production for the first time in Fab-less industry
- Chilisin's miniature power inductor in 0603/0805 sizes
- Chilisin introduces Thin-film chip inductor 0201 size
- Chilisin at 2012 electronics Munich A5/159 & 260
- Chilisin sunken-type molded power inductor for MXM Graphic application
Digitimes recently interviewed Bert Gyselinckx, general manager of the Holst Centre in Eindhoven, to...
Chaintech, a motherboard/graphics card maker, which quit the market once and returned recently, has...
Digitimes recently spoke with Karen Lightman, the executive director of MEMS Industry Group (MIG),...
In a relentless competition against rivals including Qualcomm, Nvidia and Media in the smartphone chipset...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...