- 1 Jul 2016:Oracle has lost its second multibillion-dollar legal battle in little more than a month, after a jury in Silicon Valley ordered it on Thursday to pay US$3bn in damages to the former Hewlett-Packard.
- US authorities are investigating the first death potentially caused by self-driving technology.
- 30 Jun 2016:An Apple patent application published on Tuesday backs the company's apparent interest in using micro-LED technology in future products, one possibility being the Apple Watch.
- Samsung is also reported to considering relocating its European headquarters in London to a location in Europe.
- With rumors strongly suggesting Apple's next-generation iPhone will lack a traditional headphone jack, supplier Cirrus Logic this week announced the release of a new development kit that will enable companies to make Made for iPhone-certified Lightning headphones.
- Seagate Technology, a maker of disk drives for computers, said it's cutting about 3% of its workforce in an effort to reduce costs amid a slump in demand for PCs.
- Qualcomm is announcing Tango support on the Snapdragon 820 in addition to the 652, and future 800 and 600 series chips will also support Tango.
- 29 Jun 2016:Contract manufacturer Jabil, which supplies Apple's iPhones, projected guidance for next quarter well below expectations, which analysts said might suggest a weak Apple product cycle.
- 28 Jun 2016:German robotics maker Kuka is on the brink of agreeing to an investor agreement with Chinese bidder Midea that includes a long-term commitment to existing headquarters, factories and jobs, a source close to the negotiations said.
- The US government has extended through August 30 a reprieve to ZTE on tough export restrictions imposed on the Chinese smartphone maker in March for allegedly breaking sanctions against Iran, the Commerce Department said on Monday.
- Leaked photos that first surfaced on the French tech blog Nowhereelse.fr on June 25 appear to show the casing on the iPhone 7 with a much larger camera sensor opening than the previous iPhone, as well as a possible dual-camera configuration for the larger iPhone 7 Plus.
- 27 Jun 2016:A TCL device with the product name DTEK 50 has been certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance, which is odd because DTEK is the name of the privacy suite that ships on the BlackBerry Priv.
- State-backed Chinese technology group Tsinghua Holdings plans to spend $7.5 billion on research and development over the next five years, accelerating China's drive to build a high-value semiconductor industry to challenge global chipmaking rivals.
- Intel is looking at options for Intel Security, including potentially selling the antivirus software maker formerly known as McAfee which it bought for $7.7bn almost six years ago.
- 25 Jun 2016:Qualcomm has filed a complaint against Meizu in the Beijing Intellectual Property Court. The complaint requests rulings that the terms of a patent license offered by Qualcomm to Meizu comply with China's Anti-Monopoly Law, and Qualcomm's fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing obligations.
- 24 Jun 2016:
- More than 300,000 people have signed a petition urging Apple not to ditch the headphone socket from the version of the iPhone due for release this autumn.
- UKIP leader Nigel Farage hailed it as the UK's "independence day" but the Remain camp called it a "catastrophe."
- 23 Jun 2016:
- Low-cost iPhone SE cannibalizing sales Of pricier Apple handsets (Jun 21) - Investor's Business DailyApple's low-cost iPhone SE appears to be cannibalizing sales of more expensive handsets, including the flagship iPhone 6S, says Nomura Securities.
- Power component designer Sarda Technologies in the US is teaming up with Asian assembly firm UTAC to use its Heterogeneous Integrated Power Stage (HIPS) in UTAC's 3D SiP based on technology from German embedded board provider AT&S to improve the energy efficiency of data centers.
- 22 Jun 2016:
- Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. Those changes could include an edge-to-edge organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen and eliminating the home button by building the fingerprint sensor into the display, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 21 Jun 2016:
- 20 Jun 2016:The intellectual property tribunal said the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus looked too similar to the 100C model made by Shenzhen Beili, a small Chinese brand.
- 17 Jun 2016:
- 16 Jun 2016:The acquisition makes up for the South Korean tech giant's lack in software, especially cloud, that has made it dependent on other vendors.
- 15 Jun 2016:Many Chinese-made counterfeit products are now of "better quality" than the genuine article, the founder of ecommerce giant Alibaba has said.
- 14 Jun 2016:NXP to sell Standard Products unit to Chinese firm for $2.75 billion (Jun 13) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)In a banner year for deal activity by Chinese buyers, NXP Semiconductors has struck another asset-sale pact with Jianguang Asset Management.
- GMobi shifting gears aiming for automotive market
- Open innovation platform helps shape the landscape of IoT applications
- Institute for information industry and open connectivity foundation join forces to enable global IoT market opportunities for Taiwan-based vendors
- USB-IF promotes USB Type-C connectors to enhance performance and user experience
- CSO: Heavy duty fuse clip designed for voltages up to 1500 VAC / VDC and currents to 32 A
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
- Digitimes Research: Intel processor shipments rely on Windows tablets for growth
- Digitimes Research: Tablets with phone functionality from white-box players to suffer over 15% decline in 2Q15
Virtual reality has become the latest topic of the PC industry with players such as Samsung, HTC, Google and Sony, all aggressively pushing into.
Taiwan notebook Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs) account for more than 90% of global notebook production and Digitimes is there to provide daily...
HTC is banking on its VR device to revive its business
The early success Google's Android platform has achieved in the handset market has caused system makers, software developers and semiconductor players...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
The launch of virtual reality headsets for the consumer market and the increasing demand for ultra...
Dassault Systemes, a European multinational software company that develops 3D design, 3D engineering,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - Jun 2011
The motherboard industry began 2010 with optimism and expected to see a reversal of the previous two years' declines in revenues and shipments as the impact of...