- 14 Apr 2014:Apple has only "60 days left to either come up with [an iWatch] or they will disappear," analyst Trip Chowdhry told CNBC last month. "It will become a zombie, if they don't come up with an iWatch."
- Samsung brought in heavyweight champion Google to fight in its corner in its latest patent bout with Apple in the US on Friday.
- Huawei has announced the appointment of Xu Wenwei (William Xu) as chief strategy marketing officer, Ding Yun (Ryan Ding) as president of Products & Solutions, Zou Zhilei as vice president of the Carrier Business Group and Yan Lida as vice president of the Enterprise Business Group.
- Google could come to Samsung Electronics' defense against Apple during their new patent trial that started Friday.
- 8 Apr 2014:Nokia has won approval from Chinese competition authorities to sell its mobile phone business to Microsoft without having to change its main technology patent practices, it said on Tuesday.
- 28 Mar 2014:One of the most lucrative software franchises in history, Microsoft Office, has finally come to the most influential computing device of the last few years, the iPad.
- 25 Mar 2014:Summary: Google is able to offer something with Android Wear that no other player, big like Apple or small like Pebble, can offer. And that's why it'll win...
- 21 Mar 2014:When Google announced its Project Glass for wearable augmented reality eyewear, there were mixed reactions all around. From disrupting privacy, to even being used in spying, there were numerous concerns and interesting myths that began floating. The truth of the times, both ancient and modern, is anything said repeatedly garners enough potential to actually make it sound like the truth.
- 14 Mar 2014:Two phone makers in India will be spared the usual licensing fee for adopting Windows Phone, says The Times of India.
- 7 Mar 2014:OS X 10.9.2 was just released last week, but Apple has already begun testing for version 10.9.3, and the update will apparently come with some goodies for users of 4K displays. According to a report by 9to5Mac, the new update enables HiDPI "Retina" scaling on 4K displays that didn't offer the option in previous OS X versions.
- Samsung Electronics defeated Apple's bid for a court order barring US sales of some Samsung smartphones that were found to infringe Apple patents in a ruling that may affect a trial over current products.
- 4 Mar 2014:Broadcom collaborates with Datang Mobile to develop 4G LTE small cell solution (February 25) - Company releaseBroadcom has announced that Datang Mobile, a core subsidiary of the Datang Telecom Technology and Industry Group, has selected Broadcom's dual-mode TD-SCDMA/TD-LTE system-on-chip (SoC) to develop a new family of enterprise and residential small cell solutions.
- 27 Feb 2014:Project Ara: Google wants to turn mobile devices into pieces of clever Lego (Feb 27) - SiliconRepublicDespite ditching Motorola, Google's plans to disrupt the smartphone world continue apace and the internet giant is intent on converting phones from closed devices to modular devices whose components can be stuck together to achieve different outcomes.
- The companies are already selling lots of phones. But most of those sales are coming in China, and both companies admit they have work cut out for them elsewhere, including in the United States.
- 25 Feb 2014:Hillcrest Labs brings advanced motion control to Oppo mobile devices (February 24) - Company releaseHillcrest Labs has announced that Oppo, a China-based CE manufacturer and smartphone OEM, is using Hillcrest's patented Freespace software to provide advanced motion-based functionality on their latest smartphones.
- 24 Feb 2014:Qualcomm has leaped ahead of Apple in 64-bit mobile chip development with its first eight-core Snapdragon 615 chip for mobile devices, which has integrated LTE and 4K video rendering capabilities.
- Sony's flagships have struggled to find success, but that hasn't stopped the company from quickly iterating its smartphone line to keep up with its rivals.
- Chinese mobile technology leader Huawei unveiled the latest additions to its stable Sunday in Barcelona, ahead of the 2014 World Mobile Congress, including its "hybrid" fitness band/smart watch.
- LG Electronics said it will launch a computerized wristwatch later this year, entering a nascent market where Samsung Electronics, Sony and smaller companies such as Pebble are already jostling for dominance.
- 21 Feb 2014:Google has unveiled a prototype smartphone with "customised hardware and software" that enables it to create 3D maps of a user's surroundings.
- A smartwatch prototype based on Qualcomm's Toq device will be previewed to carriers at the Mobile World Congress trade show, with no plans to unveil the device publicly, the person said, asking not to be identified because the details haven't been released.
- Nokia is considering buying Juniper Networks to merge into its telecommunications network gear business, German's Manager Magazin Online reported, citing unidentified sources.
- 18 Feb 2014:A report citing inside sources says the upcoming smartphone will come equipped with fingerprint reading technology within the device's home button.
- 13 Feb 2014:Lenovo reported Thursday it had made progress in its plan to expand beyond PCs, even before a planned acquisition of Motorola Mobility.
- Samsung recently won an order for roughly 7,000 smartphones from the US Army and is close to an order for several thousand devices from the US National Security Agency, according to a person familiar with the matter.
- 6 Feb 2014:Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Coming: Rumors Suggest 10-MP Camera, New Screen Technology, Possible June Launch (Feb 4) - International Bussiness TimesA newly released report hit the Web Monday, fueling iPhone 6 rumors that Apple's next generation will come in two different sizes.
- 1 Feb 2014:Lenovo and Google have entered into a definitive agreement under which Lenovo plans to acquire the Motorola Mobility smartphone business. The purchase price is approximately US$2.91 billion (subject to certain adjustments).
- 27 Jan 2014:Samsung Electronics will pay Ericsson $650 million along with years of royalties to end a technology licence spat, the Swedish company said on Monday.
- 22 Jan 2014:2013 was supposed to be the year in which Samsung blew away the smartphone competition. It wasn't. Now, 2014 looks to be a soul-searching year for the Korean tech giant.
- Intel confirms using ARM-based chip core in smartwatch it demoed at CES (January 21) - ComputerworldFor years, Intel has been battling to replace ARM-based chips used in smartphones and other mobile devices. Now it has partly succumbed to the low-power ARM approach.
- Global phablet shipments to reach over 120 million by 2018, finds Juniper Research (January 21) - Company releasePhablets, smartphones with displays 5.6 inches and above, are forecast to flourish in Far East and China, Juniper Research said in its new report.
- Nokia is expected to show a steep fall in network equipment sales in its results this week, highlighting the challenge facing management after selling its once mighty handset division to Microsoft for EUR5.4 billion (US$7.3 billion).
- 21 Jan 2014:Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display (Jan 20) - Apple InsiderMonday morning brought two questionable reports about Apple's plans for the future, with one Korean publication speculating that LG has won a contract to supply displays for Apple's still-unannounced "iWatch" and a Chinese website claiming a next-gen 4.7-inch iPhone will be unveiled at WWDC.
- 17 Jan 2014:BlackBerry gets order from German customer for 1,000 smartphones (January 16) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)BlackBerry, seeking to show that its handset business can still attract customers, said a German technology company is upgrading to its Enterprise Service 10 system and will purchase more than 1,000 phones.
- Apple will refund customers at least US$32.5m after a settlement with the US Federal Trade Commission. The refund agreement settles long-standing complaints over in-app purchases made by children without their parents' consent.
- 16 Jan 2014:Pivot Acquisition Corp. Chairman and Former Apple CEO John Sculley discusses Apple products and how he thinks that we will see a wild product in 2014.
- 13 Jan 2014:Samsung could be planning to follow up the eye-tracking technology it introduced in the Galaxy S4 with new features in the Galaxy S5 that will keep track of the position of your entire head.
- 2 Jan 2014:Sprint, the third-largest US wireless carrier, jumped 8.3% amid speculation that the company is getting closer to merging with rival T-Mobile US.
- 26 Dec 2013:The deal is undergoing a second-phase anti-trust probe by China's commerce watchdog, which is taking longer than the usual 30 days, reportedly due to concerns from domestic handset makers over a potential Nokia licensing fee hikes.
- 24 Dec 2013:
- u-blox launches TOBY-L2, the fastest 4G LTE modules with 3G, 2G fallback in the world
- eASPNet joins Alcatel-Lucent ng Connect Program as strategic partner
- Taiwan International Smart Green City Summit commences November 1, 2013
- Digitimes Research: Notebook brands and ODMs ramp up shipments in August
- Digitimes Research: Application processor market evolving with profound changes
- Fujitsu converts Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications into a wholly owned subsidiary
- NEC reaks the speed barriers of microwave transmission with ultra high modulations
- LSI completes acquisition of SandForce
- Fujitsu introduces ARROWS Z ISW11F au smartphone
- PSCo Technical Distribution partners with Matrox to offer fully integrated turnkey video walls
- Digitimes Research: Over 50% white-box tablets to come with phone functions in 2H14; MediaTek to benefit most
- Digitimes Research: 3-mode smartphones to dominate China entry-level market
- Digitimes Research: MediaTek to continue eating into Spreadtrum market share
- Digitimes Research: Google shifts focus to large-size tablet competition
- Digitimes Research: Insufficient panel supplies to limit 2K-resolution smartphone penetration in 2014
More and more players have made inroads into the MEMS microphone industry to cash in on the rising...
While Digitimes is known as a media outlet, the company also includes a business unit that solely focuses...
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET), the three largest...
Smartphone ODM Arima Communications has decided to expand its product lines to include tablets, smart...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2010
The global handset market did not have a banner year in 2009, with overall shipments of 1.167 billion units representing a drop of 3.2% from the previous year,...
- Taiwan handset industry overview - Jun 2008
The use of handsets continues to grow around the world, both in mature and emerging markets, as the communication devices become ever more ingrained in people's...
- Taiwan handset overview - Jun 2007
Global handset shipments topped 977 million units in 2006, according to Digitimes Research, with Taiwan-based handset makers accounting for 14% of the market on...